Connecting a Canon printer to a laptop or PC can be frustrating, especially if you’re not sure how to get it done. If you need something printed out in a hurry, you may not have the time to go through the instruction manual that came with your printer. You need to know how does connecting to a Canon printer work?
There are two ways to connect your printer to your laptop – either you do it using a cable or wirelessly. You can resolve issues during the connection process by troubleshooting or contacting customer support. However, for either of these processes to work, you need to first download and install software that you can use to run the printer on your laptop or PC.
How To Connect A Canon Printer To Your Laptop Or PC
You can connect your Canon printer to your laptop or your PC in one of two ways. A wireless connection is established online, whereas a cable connection is created using a USB port on the computer. So which of these two ways works best for you?
Install Canon Printing Software
Before you try and connect your Canon printer to the laptop or PC, it is essential to install the software. This software can bridge the gap between the computer’s operating system and the printer’s firmware. It also makes it easier to print things out in an effective way rather than stumbling through manual processes.
So let’s explore the method of how to install a Canon printer on your laptop or PC.
- On the laptop or PC, open up your preferred web browser.
- In the search bar, enter the following address: usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support
- Enter the name of the printer model in the search box you see on the webpage.
- Click the model from the options that appear under the search box.
- The website will then take you to the Drivers and Downloads page.
- Out of the drivers, software, and firmware options, select what you want to download.
- You will need to install the drivers to start using your Canon printer.
- When you have decided what you need to download, click on the option ‘Select’ on the right-hand side of the driver or software.
- Select ‘Download’ and select a location to download the driver.
- A download will start on your computer.
- Once the file is downloaded to your computer, double-click to start the installation.
- Follow the required steps to complete installation.
Now that you have the driver software installed on your computer, it is ready to be connected to the printer. There are two ways to get this done; either with a USB cable or a wireless connection.
Creating A Connection Using A USB Cable
The first way that we can explore connections between a printer and the laptop or PC is using a USB cable. This is a straightforward method, for which you can follow the steps below:
- Switch off the Canon printer completely.
- Connect the USB cable to the printer and then to the laptop or PC.
- Switch on the Canon printer again.
- Click on the Start button. You can find this on the very left-hand side of the taskbar.
- Go to the Control Panel option from the Start menu and click it.
- Next, navigate to Hardware and Sound, and then to Devices and Printers.
- Select ‘Add a Printer,’ and choose ‘Local Printer.’
- Select the printer port that is used to create the connection.
- Find your printer in the options listed, and click the name.
- You have the opportunity to rename the printer if you wish.
- Decide whether or not the printer will be your default printer.
Connecting A Canon Printer Wirelessly
To get your Canon printer connected wirelessly, you must first check that a WPS or WiFi connection is available on the device and connect to the Internet. Here’s how you do that:
- Switch on your WiFi router and make sure the internet connection is available.
- Please turn on the Canon printer, so it can then be connected.
- Use the touch screen display to navigate to the Home screen on the printer.
- Find the WiFi button. Press and hold the button down.
- Select the ‘LAN Wireless Set Up’ option that shows up.
- Click Ok to get started looking for wireless connections.
- Please choose the correct WiFi network, and select it.
- Press down the WiFi point to enter your password, and press down the Ok button again.
- Give the printer a few minutes to connect to the WiFi network.
- Once the connection is complete, the WiFi light will turn a solid color and remain lit.
Now that you have connected the printer to the Internet, all that remains is that you connect the printer to your PC or laptop. This process for this is pretty simple:
- Make sure the printer is connected to the Internet (following the steps above) and that you have downloaded the correct printer driver from Canon.
- Use the start button on your Windows taskbar to open the Control Panel.
- From here, navigate to Devices and Printers.
- At the top of the screen, select ‘Add a Printer.’
- Your computer will automatically detect printers on the same network as you.
- Once you find the printer, select the name and follow the necessary steps to connect the printer.
Now you have learned how to connect a Canon printer to your computer or laptop using two distinct methods.
Sometimes, when using a Canon printer, you may encounter some issues with the connection. In most cases, this is simply a matter of outdated firmware, software, or drivers. You can constantly update your software to ensure your printer can consistently connect.
If you continue to face issues with connection, there is also the option to refer to customer support or help so they can assist you with the process. Alternatively, you can also get your printer repaired if it faces any kind of damage.