For budget-minded consumers, TCL makes some of the best smart televisions for an affordable price. Their addition of Roku as the operating system only makes it easier to use. In addition, Roku gives users a near-endless number of streaming services to use through their own Wi-Fi network.
But what happens if you lose the remote that came with your TV? There are a multitude of options but listed here are the best four options. There are three conventional options and one you may not have considered before.
Continue reading to check them all out and see which one would work best for you!
Can I Just Buy the Original That I Lost?
Yes, you can. You can find this option in many places, and the replacement cost is quite low. But the best option that Roku provides is called the Roku Voice Remote Pro, and it offers some extra features that the standard remote does not have. There is not only a headphone jack for use with 3.5 mm headphones but also a battery that can be recharged.
Another cool feature of this option is that you can choose the four shortcuts on the remote that you cannot do on the standard remote. While nearly $30 may seem like a lot, you have to remember that it is made by Roku and will work flawlessly with your device.
Are There Any Third-Party Options Available?
There are quite a few out there, but the absolute best is the Logitech Harmony Series. There is a Harmony Elite and a Harmony Companion, which have similar features to each other. The benefit to these is that they will control most of your other home devices, too. The downside is that they are quite expensive.
The on-screen instructions that come on when you begin setting up the device make it quite simple. Basically, there is nothing special to set up since the Logitech software will walk you through it all very well.
Can I Use a Smartphone App as my Roku Remote?
You can! There are Android and iPhone apps that allow for an easy setup and easy control. This method is the best overall since most people are used to having a handheld remote, and this gives you a full-color screen, as well.
- Search for the Roku app on either the Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to set up the app properly.
- You can either sign on or use the app as a guest. Using your own account is always the best to ensure proper syncing, but you really do not have to.
- Search your screen for the ‘Devices’ and tap on the screen. This will prompt the app to search the Roku devices available.
- Choose which one you want to connect to and top on the device on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Remote’ icon that appears below your selected device on the screen and use the arrows to go to the settings.
- Find the ‘Network’ option and click on it to set up the Wi-Fi connection. This will establish a solid connection between the app and the Roku.
- Follow any other on-screen directions to make sure everything is good to go!
The app is by far the easiest to set up and navigate once it is connected properly.
Can I Use My Computer as A Roku Remote?
Surprise! You absolutely can! The only item of note with this option is that you really should use Google Chrome as your internet browser. Because Chrome is so prevalent, this really should not be a problem for most users. The setup is easy and only requires downloading an extension into Chrome and following these steps.
- In the Google Chrome app store, find a Roku controller. The most common one is called Remoku.
- Once it has been downloaded, the icon will show up in the top right corner of your browser in near your address bar.
- Now, either scan for your Roku on your network or type in all the necessary information manually. For this, you will need to go into your Roku settings and find the IP address.
- On the Remoku settings, click the ‘+’ button and enter in the IP address.
- You also must give your Roku a name. The easiest thing to do is name it for the room it is in.
- You should be able to click on the remote and use it for your Roku now!
The biggest benefit of this method is that since you are controlling your Roku from your computer, you can use the keyboard to search for things that are substantially easier than using a remote.
One note, there are options for a similar controller using Microsoft Edge, but typically, the Chrome options are much easier to install and work through.
The TCL television with Roku built-in makes for a great addition to your home. Also, knowing how many options are available if you happen to lose your remote should give you peace of mind that it will always work for you.