Powertools are heavy-duty and can withstand many incidents but is water one? The Ryobi power tools are quite sustainable, but it doesn’t mean they are indestructible. Water can have a way with its victims when you least expect it. That being said, can the batteries get wet?
Ryobi batteries can get wet, but they shouldn’t be soaked or submerged in water. Ryobi batteries are pretty durable products even against water, but it doesn’t mean they cannot be harmed. If lithium batteries get submerged in water, you may find yourself with a dead battery, but not always.
There are many ways you can salvage your battery if it gets wet. This all depends on the conditions your battery has gotten wet. Sometimes if it is exposed for long periods or other conditions, you may not be able to, but it is worth trying. Here is everything to help you with salvaging.
Can Ryobi Batteries Get Wet
Yes, your Ryobi battery can get wet for a short period of time, but it is not supposed to be submerged in water. You have to consider the time it was submerged, what type of water it was submerged in, and the state your battery was in before it was submerged.
Period Of Time
There is a difference between accidentally dropping your battery in water and being left in a puddle for hours. If you accidentally left the battery outside and it rained or dew, simply set it out in the sun to dry.
But if you dropped your battery in water and it sat there for hours, there is less likely a chance you can salvage it. You can set it out in the sun to dry and see if you can charge it. If it isn’t charging properly, your battery charger will be orange or yellow, letting you know the battery is dead or bad.
Type Of Water
The type of water can affect the battery. If you accidentally dropped your battery into freshwater, you can immediately dry it. Your battery should still be able to take charge and work appropriately.
Saltwater can be more damaging to your battery in a shorter amount of time. If your battery has fallen into saltwater, you will want to dispose of it immediately. The chemical reaction between saltwater could be more harmful than if your battery is exposed to water.
State Of Your Battery
If your battery is intact and is still attached to the drill when it gets exposed to water, your battery should be fine. There are no openings for water to get inside the battery and react with the lithium components.
If there are any tears or openings on the outside of your battery, there is a great chance that water interacted with the lithium. If you believe this to be the case, it may be time to retire the battery and purchase a new one.
When Should You Discard Your Battery?
If you left your battery in water for hours, you might just want to get rid of it and get a brand new one. Lithium batteries can react terribly with water because they can become quite dangerous. The lithium within the battery has a chemical reaction creating highly flammable hydrogen.
There are many signs to pay attention to if you want to ensure that your battery could be dangerous. When you see these signs, you need to dispose of your battery immediately:
- Leakage from the battery.
- You see a white foam substance coming from the battery.
- The charger has a yellow or orange light while charging.
- The battery had exposed openings for water to get into.
- It had been exposed to saltwater.
- The battery was submerged for a long period of time.
Your safety should be the most important. Although batteries can be expensive, it is nothing compared to your health. You don’t want something to happen that can cause you any injury or even your life.
If you want to ensure that you complete the correct procedure with your battery, you can also contact customer support. They can tell you what to do and what your battery can withstand when exposed to water.
It is always the safest practice to dispose of the Ryobi lithium battery if completely submerged in water. Water will get into the battery and corrode its components. The water can chemically react with the lithium within to cause an explosive reaction that is not safe for you.
If you are unsure of what to do, it is best to throw away the battery and get a new one. The risks are just too high. Safety should always be first.