Bose creates a variety of headphones and earbuds that are ranked among the best in class for electronics. Since they are a premium product, most users want to be sure that their Bose headphones are compatible with all types of electronic platforms. As a result, many gamers ask if they will be able to use their Bose headphones for a PS4.
Bose Bluetooth headphones can be connected to a PS4 with minimal effort. However, if your Bose headphones do not have a built-in microphone specifically for gaming, you may have to purchase a separate inline microphone if you want to converse with other remote gamers.
While hearing audio from a PS4 is no problem for any type of Bose headphones, if you use the Bose QC25 or Bose QC35 as a hands-free system for your Apple iPhone, then you will likely find that the microphone does not work and will need to purchase a separate inline microphone designed for Android phones. Below, we’ll cover which Bose headphones are compatible with the PS4 and how you can use the devices together.
Will Bose Headphones Work with PS4?
Bose headphones will work with a PS4; however, only models with a built-in microphone are ideal for connecting to the device so you can hear and talk to other gamers online. Despite this, even if your Bose headphones don’t come with a built-in mic, you can easily purchase an inline microphone to overcome this issue.
How to Set Up Bose Headphones with PS4
Setting up a Bluetooth headset to connect to your PS4 is very straightforward. The following steps can get your Bose headset up and running for PS4 action:
- Power on your PS4 and Bose headphones.
- Put your Bose headphones into pairing mode. The process may differ slightly for over-the-head ear cup sets and earbuds, but you will generally have to hold the power button while the headphones search for devices to pair to. If you need additional help with pairing, be sure to download the Bose Connect app.
- Tell the PS4 to search for the Bose headphones. After your PS4 is powered on, locate the Settings icon. Click Devices and then Bluetooth devices. If the Bose headphones do not immediately appear on the list, wait a few seconds for the system to search.
- Select the Bose headphones. A popup will appear on your PS4, confirming that you have made the correct selection. Click Yes if your Bose headphones have been properly chosen.
What if the Bose Microphone Will Not Work with PS4?
It is pretty straightforward for players to connect their Bose headphones and immediately start to hear the action coming from their PS4 and other remote players. However, there will be instances in which some Bose Headphones, even those with built-in microphones, do not transmit players’ voices.
This is because your Bose headphones were likely designed for Apple iPhone compatibility. Unfortunately, differing pin configurations in the audio connector between the Bose headphones and the PS4 create an unpleasant whining sound, so Bose headphones with Apple iPhone compatibility have simply had the microphone disabled to avoid this problem.
Although it is inconvenient that Bose headphones with Android compatibility have microphones that work while those that are iPhone-compatible do not, there is a relatively simple and affordable solution. You can simply buy a replacement inline microphone with Android compatibility to get you started communicating during your PS4 games.
Use the following steps to help get your new inline microphone up and operating if you are unable to talk with your current Bose headphones:
- Purchase the replacement microphone. There are several quality products on the market, but be sure that the microphone you choose is for Android and not iPhone.
- Plug the microphone into the port on your headphones and the microphone port on your wireless PS4 controller. Be sure that both ends of the connection are secure. This will result in a cable that runs from the headphones to the wireless controller, with the microphone resting just below your jawline.
- Once your PS4 is turned on, locate the Settings tab from the toggle list. This should be a toolbox-shaped icon in the bottom right of the screen.
- After clicking on Settings, select the Devices option from the dropdown menu.
- Click on Audio Devices.
- Choose the option that says, Output to Headphones. The default will automatically be set to “all audio,” but you will need to change that to “chat audio” to be able to send and receive sound during your PS4 gameplay.
Are All Bose Headphones Set Up the Same for a PS4?
Depending on what types of adjustments you have made to your audio settings, you may have to make some or all of the changes mentioned above to get your Bose headphones up and running.
If you purchase the specific Bose gaming headphones or have one of the other popular models with an Android compatible microphone, you should have to make fewer configurations. The only real compatibility issues are with inline microphones for iPhones, which requires the purchase of a replacement microphone cord.
You can use Bose headphones for a PS4. The setup is no different from connecting any Bluetooth device to your gaming console, and the sound is instantly audible. However, if your headphones use an iPhone-compatible microphone (typical with many of the popular Bose QC25 and Bose QC35 headphones), then a replacement microphone compatible with Androids must be purchased to ensure two-way communication during gameplay.