Do you know which foods your chickens should not eat? How about those they should?
I’ve had chickens for several years. By trial and error, I knew there were some common foods chickens should not eat but I didn’t know there were a few items that are dangerous to their health.
Foods chickens won’t eat or need to avoid:
- Avocados – the peeling, fruit and seed are poisonous to chickens.
- Chocolate – chocolate especially contains a toxin called methylxanthines theobromine and is poisonous to chickens.
- Onions – Onions contain a toxin substance called thiosulphate that destroys red blood cells. When excessive amounts are fed to chickens, it can cause jaundice or anemia in your hens or even death.
- Green Potato Skins – Raw green potato skins contain solanine, which is poisonous to chickens.
- Watermelon Rind or Orange Peel – they are too hard for them to eat.
Foods chickens will eat:
- Apples – too much will give them a belly ache
- Carrot peels – not the whole carrot because it’s too hard for them to eat.
- Cooked Rice
- Fish, Mice and Ham
- Bread – feed starches in moderation
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cheese – in moderation
- Grits (cooked)
- Various Flowers
- Watermelon flesh
- Cooked turnip