Controlling the temperature on your Big Green Egg takes some skill. It’s more than pressing a few buttons and waiting for the magic to happen; it involves opening the grill’s vents and monitoring the temperature.
Here, you can learn all about managing your grill’s temperature to get the perfect meal every time. Stick around to find out how to control temperature on your Big Green Egg.
First, Familiarize Yourself with Your Grill
When it comes to controlling your Big Green Egg’s temperature, you need to know about these three things:
- The thermometer. On the center of your grill, you’ll see its temperature gauge. It measures temperatures ranging from zero to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. With this device, you don’t have to guess how hot it is inside your grill. Your thermometer will tell you everything. You can even upgrade it to a digital model if you want to get an even better reading.
- The dual-function metal top. On your grill’s dome, you’ll see a dual-function metal top. By turning it to the left or right, you can control your grill’s airflow. You can also remove the cap.
- The draft door. This component is located on the bottom of your grill. Just like the dual-function metal top, it controls how much air goes to your coals. When you want your coals to stay lit, you’ll keep the draft door open. If you’re done cooking, close the draft door shut.
Steps for Controlling the Temperature on Your Big Green Egg
If you get anything out of this article, it should be this: the hotter you want your grill, the more you should open your grill’s vents. If you want your grill to cool down, close the vents.
Consider this scenario:
- You want to cook steak.
- Open the bottom draft door.
- Light the coals using a fire starter.
- Wait seven to 10 minutes for the coals to catch.
- Close the dome.
- Adjust the dual-function metal top until you reach the desired cooking temperature.
How long this process takes depends on your coals’ quality, what you’re cooking, and the temperature outside. It may take longer to heat up your grill if it’s cold outside.
You Can Also Use the Egg Genius
When grilling with your friends and family, you don’t want to be standing by the grill the entire time. You want to be free to move about and enjoy yourself. That’s where Egg Genius comes in. This add-on lets you check your grill and food’s temperature using a smart device.
Here’s how to use it:
- Plug the Egg Genius into a power source.
- Download the Egg Genius app.
- Wait until you get a slow green blinking light.
- Follow the prompts on the app.
- Open the grill’s lid.
- Light the coals.
- Insert the adapter plate.
- Insert your Egg Genius and connect the probes to your meat.
- Set your desired temperature in the app.
You can learn more about this process by reading this article. While the Egg Genius isn’t mandatory, it can enhance your grilling experience.
Questions and Answers About Controlling Your Big Green Egg’s Temperature
As you take in all this information, here are some questions you may have:
What if My Grill’s Getting Too Hot?
Adjust the dual-function metal top and draft door if your grill is getting too hot. The less airflow inside your grill, the cooler it will be.
How Long Should It Take To Reach My Desired Temperature?
The answer to this question depends on many factors, namely, what temperature you’re trying to reach. However, Big Green Egg notes that once the coals catch, you should reach your desired temperature within 15 minutes.
If you’re having a hard time reaching a certain heat, try:
- Opening the draft door wider
- Making sure all the coals catch
- Keep the grill away from blowing winds or gusts
- Opening the dual-function metal top
How Can I Keep Myself Safe While Grilling?
Even when your Big Green Egg gets to be 800 degrees Fahrenheit, you’re totally safe. However, if you have concerns about the heat or flames getting out of control, you may:
- Grill away from any wooden structures or trees
- Keep a fire extinguisher or bucket of water nearby
- Do not grill while shirtless
- Use tongs, spatulas, or other accessories to flip the food
What Is the Ideal Temperature?
The best temperature for your grill depends on what you’re cooking. Contrary to popular belief, having your grill at the highest possible temperature will not make your food cook faster. Instead, this will burn the meat’s exterior and leave the inside undercooked.
For the most part, you should cook at temperatures ranging from 350 degrees Fahrenheit to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you may grill beyond these parameters based on your desired taste and texture.
A Final Word
By using the draft door and dual-function metal top, you can control your Big Green Egg’s temperature. You can monitor your grill’s temperature by checking the thermometer’s reading or installing the Egg Genius.
Now you’re officially one step closer to being a Big Green Egg chef. You can check temperature control off your list of things to worry about. You’ve got this- it’s time to test out some of your favorite grilled foods on the Big Green Egg.