The process of printing isn’t always as smooth as it looks. There are so many things that can go wrong, after all. I know, for one, that I usually have to print things out in a hurry, so when I get error messages saying the printer is ‘Offline,’ it can take my stress levels up by a lot. So, what does an offline printer error mean, and how can you fix it?
On a Windows computer, you can fix the issue of an offline Canon printer by making it the default printer, putting it in online mode, updating drivers, or switching the spooling service on. You can resolve this issue on a Mac computer by reinstating communication with the printer or resetting the printer system.
To learn more about how to fix this issue on Windows or Mac computers, you can read through our article. With the instructions listed below, you can deal with this error in no time and have your printer up and running again! So, keep reading our article to learn more about resolving issues with the Canon printer.
Why Is My Canon Printer Saying It Is Offline?
When an offline error presents itself on a Canon printer, all of your printing commands can get jammed. As a result, you will not be able to print anything until you resolve this issue. Before we try and fix the problem, you need to know what is causing the error in the first place.
Issues With Default Settings
One of the most common reasons an offline error comes up with Canon printers is because of default settings. This is a permission issue that Windows computers can have with printers, and if they are not selected as the default printer, all printing commands can become stuck.
The Printer Is In Offline Mode
Another reason why printers show an offline error is that they are offline in the Windows operating system. You could have accidentally checked this mode and turned it on. When the printer is offline, it cannot print anything out for you.
Error In The Printer Spooler
You may recognize the printer spooler as the Canon printer’s application to handle printing commands. It helps to keep everything in line and arranges printing commands to get work done efficiently. However, any technical glitches or errors in the spooler can put the printer in an offline error.
Sometimes, the Canon printer may be offline to the computer if you have a paper jam. That could be why you are seeing an offline error. So, when feeding paper into the machine, always do so in the appropriate way to avoid jams.
Damaged USB Ports
Sometimes, a USB port can become dirty or have lousy wiring. As a result, your printer will not be able to connect to the computer in the right way. As a result, the computer does not interpret the printer as being there, and it can show up as though it is offline.
Finally, you could be seeing an error like this because the connection is being affected by something. It could be that the router is not able to maintain a stable connection, showing that the printer is offline.
How To Fix Offline Errors In A Canon Printer
In order to fix the Canon printer error, you also need to factor in the kind of operating system you are using. There are different fixes for Windows and Mac operating systems. Hopefully, by following these steps and troubleshooting the issue, you can solve the Offline error on your printer in no time.
Fixing Canon Offline Error In Windows
If you have a Windows computer, you can solve the offline error on your Canon printer by troubleshooting these steps:
Set As The Default Printer
One of the main ways to resolve this error is to set the printer as your default printer on your Windows PC. Here’s how you can do that:
- Switch on your computer, and connect your printer.
- At the left of your taskbar, you can see the Start button. Click it, and search for the Control Panel.
- Once the window opens, navigate and click on ‘Devices and Printers.’
- When you see your printer, right-click and select ‘Set as default.’
- Your printer is now the default printer and will show a checkmark.
Bring Your Printer Back Online
Now, one of the other ways to resolve the issue is to check and see if your printer is on offline mode. The process of doing this is relatively simple. In the same way, open up the ‘Devices and Printers’ tab and click on the name of your printer. Make sure ‘Use Canon printer offline’ or ‘Pause printing’ is not selected in the options.
Switch On The Canon Printer Spooler Program
Your Canon printer can only work if the spooler program can organize printing commands. If you have switched it off, or if it isn’t working, you need to manually switch it on using these steps:
- Use the Start button to look for and open up the Run dialog box on your computer.
- In the field, enter the following term: services.msc
- When you hit enter, a window will open up. Switch to the properties tab.
- Look for Printer Spooler, and check its mode.
- Right-click on the Printer spool and select the option ‘Start.’
- You can also restart the application by clicking on the ‘Restart’ option.
- This should resolve the offline printer error.
Update Printer Drivers
Sometimes, an outdated windows printer driver could be at the bottom of your issue. You need to update the driver to reinstate the printer’s function to resolve this. You can do this by following these steps:
- On the start menu, search for an open-up Device Manager.
- Under the ‘Print Queues’ option, you will be able to find the name of your printer.
- Right-click on your printer and select ‘Update Driver.’
- Select ‘Search automatically’ to find the correct software.
- Once the new driver is installed on your computer, you might have to restart to get everything functional again.
These steps should update all of the software related to your printer, and it should function properly now.
How To Fix Offline Error On A Mac Computer
Since the macOS has an entirely different mechanism than a Windows PC, we will discuss how you can resolve the offline printer error on a MacBook.
Communication Issues On Mac Computers
Some of the most common issues with printers and MacBooks happen because of communication problems. Here’s how to reinstate regular communication between the two:
- Reset the Canon printer.
- On your computer, open up ‘System Preferences, and then select ‘Printer and Scanner.’
- Delete your Canon printer from the list of devices.
- Go to ‘Utilities,’ and uninstall the Canon printer.
- Now, reinstall the latest drivers and software from the printer.
- Connect the printer to the MacBook again.
- Add in the Canon device as a new printer.
Reset Printing System On Mac
One of the other ways to resolve this process is to repeat the process above by resetting the printing system.
- Open up ‘System Preferences.’
- Go to ‘Printers and Scanners.’
- In the options on the left, select ‘Reset printing System.’
- Enter in your email and password, and click on ‘OK.’
- Let the printer system reset, and then add your printer again.
With these fixes in mind, you never have to worry about an issue with an offline Canon printer ever again! However, if you keep running into this issue or can’t fix it, you should see a professional for help.