Mobdro isn’t something you can download from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. It involves changing your smart TV’s settings, entering a specific URL, and carefully following the setup instructions. If successful, you’ll be able to stream your favorite shows and access other features not available on many smart TVs.
How to Install Mobdro on Your Smart TV
Samsung, Sony, and LG TVs have very similar interfaces, so the instructions below should apply to all models. Keep in mind that some terms may differ.
To install Mobdro on your smart TV:
- Turn on your TV.
- Navigate to your TV’s settings.
- Access your TV’s security settings.
- Enable “Unknown Sources.”
- Open your TV’s web browser.
- Visit Mobdro’s website.
- Find the installation drive (be sure to select the latest version) and download it.
- Choose “Download for Android.”
- Open the app and choose “Install.”
- Follow the prompts on the screen.
If successful, you should find the Mobdro icon in your TV’s managed apps section.
Things to Keep in Mind When Installing Mobdro on Smart TVs
Mobdro is something of a “hack.” Sony, Samsung, LG, and other smart TV manufacturers do not endorse downloading the application. In March 2021, Mobdro’s developer was actually arrested on piracy charges after 43 million people worldwide downloaded the program.
Here are a few other things you need to know about Mobdro before going through with the installation:
You Can’t Use Mobdro on an Amazon Firestick
If you scour the web, you’ll see that dozens of sites give instructions for how to install Mobdro on Amazon’s Fire TV devices. While those methods worked earlier this year, they don’t right now. That’s because Amazon doesn’t want users downloading third-party, unapproved applications onto its devices.
Furthermore, the company considers using Mobdro to be a form of stealing. Amazon wants users to subscribe to Prime, Hulu, and other affiliates to enjoy programming.
Some Sources Note You Should Use a VPN
A VPN (virtual private network) protects third parties from viewing your information online. Unless you own a private business or really want to protect your browsing history, it’s not necessary. However, some sources online note that if you’re going to use Mobdro, you should have a VPN.
- Mobdro is considered illegal by many smart TV manufacturers.
- If discovered, you risk getting fined or a “cease and desist” letter.
- Hackers can access what information you watch on Mobdro.
It’s Hard to Find a Working Link
If you clicked on the link above, and it didn’t work, you’re not alone. For months, Mobdro featured the installation driver on its website. If you click on the link now, you’ll get a 404 error. Dozens of other websites claim to have the driver, but many of these links also don’t work.
That’s not to say that Mobdro won’t develop a new link in the future and host it on its website. However, at this time, it doesn’t appear to be available unless you do some serious digging.
Users Claim That Mobdro Is “Dead”
If you scan YouTube’s comments sections, you’ll find dozens of comments saying that Mobdro doesn’t work anymore––or if it does, it’s inefficient. As mentioned earlier, this is because the developer was arrested in 2021, bringing serious concerns about the app’s legality and useability.
Safe, Alternative Options Besides Mobdro
Nowadays, you don’t have to pay for a streaming service to watch TV. There are many legitimate apps that let you watch shows and movies. You might have to sit through a few ads, but these apps include:
- Tubi. Tubi has over 20,000 movies and shows in its library. It’s totally free and works with major smart TVs, including Roku, Samsung, LG, and Sony.
- IMBD. IMBD isn’t just a database anymore. Now, it’s a full-fledged channel with its own exclusive features.
- Pluto TV. This free-to-use app features live TV, movies, shows, and more. It broadcasts programs in both English and Spanish.
- Crackle. This application is owned by Sony. It has hundreds of shows and movies across different genres, including horror, sci-fi, and drama.
You Can Also Purchase a Digital Antenna
You’d be surprised at what programs digital antennas can pick up. The Indoor Amplified HD TV Antenna supports smart TVs and picks up free TV channels within a 50-mile radius. It also broadcasts anywhere from 1080p to 4K, depending on your TV’s resolution.
Some channels it can pick up include:
- The CW
- Local news stations
When you install this device, you should ideally place it near a window up high, where it can get the best reception. Make sure your TV has a coaxial port before purchasing this device. If not, there are plenty of other options on today’s market.
A Final Word
Installing Mobdro isn’t easy––especially since the installation drive keeps getting removed. In this case, you may consider downloading other free-to-use apps that you can download onto your smart TV and other streaming devices.