Are you struggling to find math curriculum your child LOVES?
Hi, I’ve been a homeschool mom since 2009. I’ve gone thru quit a few math curriculums. I think I changed math 6 times by 2nd grade. Math isn’t a favorite subject for my oldest so we struggled for a few years trying to find something she enjoyed. Finally, in 3rd grade we tried Teaching Textbooks and she started to flourish in Math. However, in 5th grade, I listened to other moms, and changed her to Saxon. Bad idea for us! After struggling a few semesters, we went back to teaching textbooks.
I put together a list comparing the best and worst of the most popular Math curriculums on the market today.
- Independent learning
- Access online from anywhere
- Automatic self grading
- NOT aligned with common core
- NOT parent led = more free time for Mom
- Can be independent learning
- Can access via DVD or online
- Suggested lesson plan
- Abeka language arts and mathematics objectives were found to already meet almost all Common Core content standards.
- Parent led and parent grading
- Aligned with common core
- Parent led
- Book work
- Builds and introduces new concepts small amounts at a time
Choosing the right curriculum for your child will vary with each child. Some may like the book work instead of computer but if you want to stay away from common core, choices are slimmer.
If your child thrives better with different math curriculum than those listed above, give us a comment explaining why it works best for your family.