Natural Carpet Deodorizer & Cleaner Simple Solution
3-4 drops lemon essential oil
¼ cup baking soda
Mix these two ingredients together and place in an airtight container.
(Canning jars work great.)
A baking soda carpet cleaner can help to freshen and revitalize your carpets. More importantly, it is an inexpensive solution that will have no lasting impact on the environment and it will even help to get rid of odors and stains
REMOVING NON-GREASY STAINS
Non-greasy stains stains don’t have an underlying residue to them. To remove them, all you need to do is:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda simple solution over the entire stain.
- Lightly mist the stain with some hot water (You’ll need a spray bottle for this).
- Keeping the area damp, you will want to allow the mixture to sit for at least 3 hours, but longer if possible. This can be something you do at night before you go to bed. Leaving a damp washcloth on top of the stain can help keep it damp so you won’t have to continue misting it.
- After you have let the stain sit, all you will need to do is vacuum the area and the stain should be gone. If the you can still see some of the stain you can repeat this process as often as necessary to make sure you get it all out.
GREASY STAIN REMOVAL
Not all stains are going to be simple for you to clean up. If there is any grease in the stain, you will need to take a different approach to help remove it. Try these four steps:
- To start, use a rag or paper towel to blot the stain, removing as much of the grease as possible. Be careful not to rub the grease; this will cause it to set in the carpet and can damage the carpet fibers.
- After you have thoroughly blotted, sprinkle the above baking soda simple solution on the stain and allow it to sit overnight. The longer that you allow it to sit, the more grease it will be able to absorb.
- In the morning, you will want to vacuum the area thoroughly. If the stain is still visible, take a little dish soap or straight lemon essential oils and begin to blot it into the stain to help cut through the grease. Immediately follow with water and a towel to start blotting up the soapy residue. Always remember to blot so you don’t spread the grease or cause any damage to the carpet fibers.
- Finally, dry the area until it is slightly damp. Sprinkle another layer of baking soda simple solution onto the stain and allow it to sit for at least 3 hours before vacuuming the area again.
REMOVING TOUGH PET ODORS
If you have pets, then you know how messy and smelly they can be. Fortunately, baking soda can help to remove the “pet smell” and bring back the fresh smell. Just follow these steps and your guests won’t even know you have any pets.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda simple solution on the area of the room that the pet frequents, or sprinkle it on the entire room to make sure you don’t miss any odors. Allow it to sit for 1 to 2 hours. (Try to keep pets out of the area to make sure they don’t track white paw prints everywhere.)
- After 1 to 2 hours, vacuum the area thoroughly. Now it should smell fresh once again.
- This process can be repeated as often as necessary. Getting rid of pet odors couldn’t be any easier.
- When it comes to pet urine odor removal, it is probably best you contact the professionals.
FRESHENING EFFORTS USING THE VACUUM
As you are vacuuming your carpets and doing what you can to improve their appearance and smell, it is important to remember that the cleanliness of your vacuum has an impact. It is important to take the time to routinely clean out the bag and add a little baking soda to replacement bags.
If you prefer a smell that’s a little stronger you can add a little cinnamon into the bag to help keep it smelling good. More tips here on Vacuum: http://www.wikihow.com/Vacuum-a-Rug
You can use baking soda as often as you’d like to help keep your home looking clean and smelling fresh. You can even do a routine carpet sprinkling once a month or when you change the bag; using that as a time to help enhance the smell of the room. That way, you have fresh, clean carpets each month that look new and you can be comfortable having your guests visit without worrying about any stains or odors.
If you are interested in looking for more recipes, then make sure to check out the recipe section on Amazon. There are a ton of recipe books that are sure to catch your eye.