Have you ever tried to make your own natural furniture polish? This simple DIY recipe is non toxic and just as effective as store bought.
Why make your own when you can just buy some?
According to the Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning, some of the most hazardous ingredients in dusting and polishing products include:
- C10-12 Alkane/Cycloalkane — If ingested, this may be fatal. This chemical also may cause cancer and genetic defects.
- C12-20 Isoparaffin – This chemical may cause cancer.
- Cyclotetrasiloxane – This chemical is suspected to damage fertility and unborn children.
- Mineral Spirits – If ingested, they may be fatal. They also may cause cancer and genetic defects.
- Petroleum Distillates – These chemicals may be fatal if swallowed. They’re also suspected to cause cancer and genetic defects, and can potentially impair the nervous system and cause kidney damage.
- Petroleum Gases – These gases may cause cancer and genetic defects.
- Plasticizers – Plasticizer is a fancy word for phthalate. And because of some damaging side effects, phthalates should be avoided.
- Sodium Salts – Actually sodium borate, this ingredient may harm fertility and unborn children.
The main problem
The chemicals I’ve listed all are dangerous. The big problem, though, comes when a single polishing product includes several of these chemicals. Suddenly, you’re exposed to a whole host of toxins – just when you think you’re cleaning your house.
Fortunately, I’ve found a simple and completely natural way to polish your furniture.
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white vinegar
8 drops orange or lemon essential oil
8 oz glass spray bottle
Pour all ingredients in the spray bottle. Shake and use.
You might also like our: NATURAL CARPET DEODORIZER RECIPE.
If you are interested, make sure to check out the DIY section on Amazon. There are many books and guides that will help you make life easier and helps you to spend less money.