Wind energy is one of the most sustainable sources of energy available. However, when one thinks of a wind turbine, they imagine those reserved for farms and other enterprises. However, that’s not the case. There are many rooftop wind turbine kits that one can install on their property––and there are many on today’s market that are worth it.
Right now, homeowners can make the switch from traditional energy sources to wind-powered energy. Continue reading to learn more.
We Rank Wind Turbine Kits Based on Certain Factors
Anyone can type in “rooftop wind turbine kit” and go from there. However, to make the most of your time and money, we’ve narrowed down three choices based on the following:
- Price. You want a cheap rooftop wind turbine that’ll last for years to come–– but you don’t want a piece of garbage, either.
- Energy output. What’s the point of installing a rooftop wind turbine if it’s no more powerful than a weathervane? You want a wind turbine that reduces your energy bills and generates enough power to sustain your home.
- Added bonuses. Not all rooftop wind turbines are created equally. Here, we’ll list some things that caught our attention.
We’ll also factor in whether a wind turbine is easy to assemble.
Three Rooftop Wind Turbines Kits (That Are Actually Worth It)
If you’re looking to outfit your home or business for wind power, consider purchasing one of these rooftop kits:
The Primus Wind Power Air Silent X
General Electric (GE) notes that wind turbines can be extremely loud and usually must be replaced hundreds of feet away from the home. It notes that the average wind turbine can generate 105 decibels––the same sound level as a lawn mower.
Homeowners don’t have to worry about noise with the Primus Wind Power Air Silent X. One of its best benefits is that it makes a barely audible sound. It’s recommended for those that live in coastal areas, as this turbine works best in these areas.
It also can generate energy even when the wind speeds are less than 10 miles an hour. It’s also extremely durable, being able to withstand wind speeds up to 110 miles per hour. That’s the same as withstanding a category two hurricane.
The Break Down
Here’s our verdict when reviewing the Primus Wind Power Air Silent X:
- Price. About $1,500. That’s on par with many rooftop wind turbines.
- Energy output. This wind turbine can generate 90 amps per day.
- Added bonuses. Not only is this wind turbine quiet, but you can also combine it with other renewable energy sources, such as solar panels.
Automaxx Windmill 1500w
While this is more expensive than other rooftop wind turbines on this list, reviewers note that the exceptional customer service is worth it. Manufacturers note that the Automaxx Windmill 1500w is ideal for those living off the grid, in mobile homes, or in houseboats.
This wind turbine rotates 360 degrees, adjusting to where the wind is blowing from. It can also withstand category three hurricanes and, like the Primus Wind Power Air Silent X, works alongside solar panels.
The Break Down
Here are the three main things homeowners should know about when considering the Automaxx Windmill 1500w:
- Price. As mentioned, it’s pretty expensive, costing about $1,800. However, its durability is unrivaled.
- Energy output. This device can generate 1500w.
- Added bonuses. This bad boy comes with a mobile app that lets you track your energy usage, how much energy is being generated, and other important information.
The Tumo-Int 1000W Wind Turbine Generator Kit with Wind Boosting Controller
This wind turbine weighs a hefty 77 pounds, meaning it’s ideal for a house. According to the device’s website, after installation, this wind turbine will last 15 years with minimal maintenance. It’s also virtually silent.
The Tumo-Int 1000W Wind Turbine Generator Kit with Wind Boosting Controller also automatically adjusts its position to best capture wind energy. It also works in low-speed wind conditions, so the home never has to go without power.
The Break Down
Some items of note include:
- Price. This wind turbine clocks in at about $1,200––making it a relatively affordable option when compared to similar products on the market.
- Energy output. As noted, this wind turbine can generate 1,000 watts. It can actually power a 48-volt energy bank.
- Added bonuses. This wind turbine can generate energy at wind speeds of about five miles an hour. It can also withstand extreme temperatures.
Things To Consider When Getting a Rooftop Wind Turbine Kit
While all of the rooftop wind turbines on this list are solid choices, they’re not one-size-fits-all products. When considering which turbine is right for you, you should consider:
- Your home’s specifications. Earlier, we mentioned that the Tumo-Int 1000W Wind Turbine Generator Kit with Wind Boosting Controller weighs 77 pounds. If you live in an older mobile home, a 77-pound wind turbine would not be feasible.
- Your home’s energy usage. There’s no reason to buy a 1,500-watt wind turbine if you live off the grid and don’t rely on electricity. You can generally learn about your home’s energy consumption by contacting your electric service provider.
- Your location. Not every location is suitable for wind energy. For instance, if you live in Florida, switching to wind power would not benefit you as solar energy would.
A Final Word
You can learn more about adapting your home to wind energy by visiting the U.S. Department of Energy’s website. Here, you can learn more about other renewable energy sources and how to choose the rooftop wind turbine that’s appropriate for your situation.