On the showroom floor, the Big Green Egg looks intimidating. Its ceramic green dome, its wheeled legs––for novice grillers, it’s too much to handle. However, like all great things, once you learn how to use it, you’ll never go back to traditional grilling again.
What you’re about to witness is the ultimate start guide to using your Big Green Egg. In just five minutes, you can learn about using it for the first time, cooking your favorite meals, and what “eggcessories” should enhance your grilling experience.
Three Fast Things To Know About Your Big Green Egg
You’ve unboxed your grill for the first time. Here are some things to know upfront:
Don’t Grill at Extreme Temperatures the First Time
Your Big Green Egg can reach temperatures of more than 700 degrees Fahrenheit. However, turning up the heat the first time you use it is not advised. You should stick to temperatures that don’t exceed 350 degrees. That’s because:
- Extreme heat could cause the adhesives to melt.
- Moderate temperatures will ease the grate into the grill.
- You risk damaging the gasket.
No worries. Most barbequed food doesn’t need temperatures beyond 350 degrees. Instead of broiling right off the bat, try sticking to the basics, like burgers and hot dogs. From there, there’s no limit to what you can make.
Keep the Dome Closed When You’re Cooking
The Big Green Egg is a kamado grill. It traps heat under the dome to reach high temperatures, giving your steak that juicy, tender texture every time. However, you shouldn’t have the grill open when you’re cooking. This would let the heat escape, prolonging your coking time.
It also poses a safety hazard. A gust of wind could easily cause embers to escape the grill, threatening you, your property, and those around you.
Do Not Use Starter Fluid
We know; you want to get cooking as soon as possible. So, you might consider pouring starter fluids onto the coals. This is a big no-no because:
- Petrofuels can seep into the ceramic interior, permanently changing your food’s taste.
- Chemicals can create unpleasant odors—some of which are dangerous if directly inhaled.
- If you soak the coals in lighter fluid, they won’t catch.
You’re more than welcome to use fire starters, however. Those are made of organic material and will work perfectly with your coals.
How To Use Your Big Green Egg
For the best possible results, you need:
- Your Big Green Egg (obviously)
- Non-chemical fire starters
- Big Green Egg 100% Natural Lump Charcoal
- Defrosted meat
Now, here’s what you need to do:
Insert Your Coals
To start your grilling journey:
- Open the grill’s lid.
- Put your coals into the grill.
- Open the bottom draft door.
- Light the fire starter.
- Wait seven to ten minutes for the coals to catch.
- Close the lid.
Monitor Your Grill’s Temperature
You can control your Big Green Egg’s temperature by opening and closing the bottom draft door. You can also tinker with the dual-function metal top. While this takes some practice, keep the following in mind:
- If you close the draft doors and dual-function metal top, the coals won’t have oxygen, and the fire will stop burning.
- If you open the draft doors and dual-function metal top, this will let you reach high temperatures.
You can learn more about controlling your grill’s heat by clicking here.
You can make anything in your Big Green Egg––stews, pizza, bread, you name it. However, for the sake of explanation, we’re going to stick to a grilling favorite: burgers.
Once your grill’s at the right temperature, lay your patties on the grill. Then, close the dome’s lid. If you keep the dome open, this could prevent the grill from getting hot. It also poses a safety risk.
When you flip your burger over, of course, you can open the lid. But make sure to close it afterward.
There Are Countless “Eggcessories” You Can Buy for Your Grill
From the moment you set up your Big Green Egg, you can start cooking immediately. However, as time goes on, you might want to experiment with other dishes. For that, Big Green Egg recommends checking out its many eggcessories, some of which include:
- The pizza stone. Using a pizza stone gives your crust an evenly cooked texture. It also makes cleaning up easy, as it catches any melting cheese from dripping onto the coals.
- The convEGGtor. This is one of Big Green Egg’s best-selling products. It turns your grill into a convection oven, allowing you to cook roast, pizzas, brisket, and more!
- The cast iron dutch oven. You’ll never have to use your stovetop again with this bad boy. Simply heat up your grill, put the pot on the grates, and you can cook your favorite stews, soups, cobblers, and chilis.
There’s a saying at Big Green Egg: “If you’re not looking, you’re not cooking.” Yet, the Egg Genius changes this. Using an app, you can connect your grill to your phone and monitor your food’s temperature. You can also get notifications when it’s time to get.
A Final Word
Using your Big Green Egg is easy! With a little practice, you can transform your everyday cookout into a backyard extravaganza.