Game sharing has become one of the most popular features on the Xbox gaming systems. The process is simple, and it means that you and a friend or family member can share your gaming libraries with one another on each other’s console.
You probably have some questions about how to set game sharing up. Don’t worry. We’ll run down the ins and outs so you can get game sharing up and running.
The Process of Game sharing is Simple
The process of game sharing involves both parties signing into each other’s Xbox consoles and making it their respective home Xbox. This works for the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X. Here is what you need to set it up.
- Press the Xbox button on your controller.
- Navigate to the tab that allows you to sign in, and press A
- Enter the details of your friend’s account. You will need the email and the password. (They can do this for you, but they will need to do it on your console).
- A privacy statement will appear. Accept to continue.
- The console will prompt preferences for the friend’s account on the console.
- The account is now installed on your Xbox, but we’re not done yet.
- Press the Xbox button and navigate to your friend’s profile and sign in.
- Once signed in, hit the Xbox button again and navigate to System Settings.
- Select Personalization.
- Select My Home Xbox.
- Click “Make this my Home Xbox.”
The process is now complete on one console, so the system will be able to access games on the friend’s account. You now need to do the other on the friend’s console to allow you to access each other’s games.
Once the process is complete on both consoles, you can sign out of each other’s accounts and be able to access the games. The easiest way to do that is to hit the Xbox button, go to “My Games and Apps,” and hit “All Owned Games.” You will find a mix of your games and your friend’s games in there.
Can Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass be Shared?
One of the biggest questions people set up gamesharing is whether online capabilities and Xbox game pass can be shared. The answer to the question is yes, meaning that only one of the two people has to have the aforementioned subscriptions to allow both accounts to play them.
This is one of the best parts of game sharing because it gives everyone access to the content on both accounts, allowing both accounts to spend more time gaming.
Xbox Game sharing: What You Need to Know
Game sharing is a great way to have access to an extensive library of games, but there are some things you need to take into consideration before setting it up.
- Make sure the friend you choose to do game sharing is trustworthy: If you opt to leave your account on the Xbox, it could mean the person can sign into your account and purchase games. Always lock your account down with two-factor authentication.
- There is a limit on how many times you can change your home Xbox: Microsoft has implemented a limit on how many times you can change your home Xbox. This is currently five times per year, and when you hit the limit, Microsoft will let you know when you can change it. This is crucial to know because it means you can’t keep changing game sharing partners. There is a limit.
- One person has to purchase the games: One of the two accounts will always have to purchase the game, so if you trust the friend, you could purchase a game each to make it fair.
- Your friend can change their home Xbox at any time: This is another crucial thing to know. The other person can effectively remove your access because they can change the home console and vice versa.
- You need an internet connection: If you are not playing games on the Xbox you have set to your home, you will need to be connected to the internet. This is something to consider if your internet is temperamental.
You need to consider all of the above to make sure you are making the right decision when you choose to game share.
Game sharing: A Great Way to Play More Games
The aim of the game with any console is to play games, and game sharing allows you to share not only the games but also the subscriptions. The beauty of it is that it is simple to set up and will enable you to remain in control.