The Sturgis Bike Rally is exactly what it sounds like—a bike rally. This annual event draws thousands of bikers worldwide to a single location, where they can enjoy concerts, partake in competitions, and show off their hogs. But where—and when—does this popular event take place?
The Sturgis Bike Rally takes place in Sturgis, South Dakota every year, around the second week of August.
Although tickets have not yet gone on sale for future events, the Sturgis Bike Rally coordinators typically post dates and times for scheduled programming in advance so you can plan your next trip. Continue reading to learn more about when next year’s events will take place and how you can attend.
When is the Sturgis Bike Rally?
Sturgis Bike Rally organizers have the rally’s events set for the next five years. Although Sturgis 2021 has come and gone, here’s what you need to know about the dates for upcoming events:
- Sturgis 2022: August 5 to August 14
- Sturgis 2023: August 4 to August 13
- Sturgis 2024: August 2 to August 11
- Sturgis 2025: August 1 to August 10
The Sturgis Bike Rally generally lasts 10 days. As time draws closer to the event, organizers will release more information.
Where is the Sturgis Bike Rally?
Fun fact: Sturgis is not only the name of the bike rally–it’s also the name of its location. Sturgis is a small town in western South Dakota, and it has hosted the bike rally every year since 1938.
Keloland Media Group estimates that over 700,000 attendees come to Sturgis––which is wild to think about, considering that Sturgis has a population of just over 6,000 people.
Planning a Trip to the Sturgis Bike Rally
You have a lot of options when staying in Sturgis. However, the best one for you really depends on how you’re getting there. Consider the following:
- If you plan on riding your motorcycle to Sturgis, then you could stay in a hotel. There are both chain and locally-owned accommodations. You can even check and see if there are any Airbnbs available.
- If you’re flying in or driving, refer to the option listed above. There are services online that will ship your motorcycle to Sturgis.
- If you’re driving an RV with your motorcycle attached, there’s plenty of campgrounds and RV-designated areas. When tickets go on sale, you can buy campground admissions for one, two, and three days at a time.
- You can take a Greyhound bus to Sturgis. For the best rates, book your trip in advance; prices tend to get higher the closer to your trip’s date.
- You can take a tour; through a booking agency, you can secure tickets, transportation, and accommodations at a flat rate.
How Much Does it Cost to Go to Sturgis?
The cost of attending the Sturgis Bike Rally is more than the cost of admission; you also have to factor in the cost of accommodations, gas, and merchandise. Right now, Sturgis does not have the cost of its 2022 rally posted online. However, last year:
- From August 9 to August 15, it cost $265.00 for one person to gain entrance to the Buffalo Chip Campground.
- From August 7 to August 15, it cost $335 for one person to visit the Buffalo Chip Campground.
- From August 2 to August 15, it cost $360 for “early birds” to enter Buffalo Chip Campground.
The list goes on and on. In general, people like to buy multi-day passes rather than buying a new ticket every day to take advantage of multi-day savings.
What’s in Store for Sturgis 2022?
Organizers have a lot planned for Sturgis’ 81st anniversary. Some upcoming events include:
- Concerts. At Sturgis 2021, Kid Rock and ZZ Top headlined. Rumor has it that next year, the lineup will include Kid Rock, ZZ Top, and REO Speedwagon.
- Contests. Competitions don’t just involve everyone; there’s something for the whole family. Examples include the Sturgis Poster Model Search, the Sturgis Chip Shots Photo Contest, the Beer Belly Contest, and Slip ‘n Slide Relay.
- Bike shows. Every day, visitors can attend motorcycle-centered shows. Here, you can marvel at legendary craftsmanship up close. You can also chat with like-minded enthusiasts.
- Stunts. From riding their motorcyclists in cages to popping wheelies, there are some incredible performers ready to show off their skills. (Remember: don’t try these tricks at home.)
Sturgis 2021 has come and gone. However, there’s still time to make plans for Sturgis 2022. The 10-day event will take place from August 8 to August 14, but early birds can pay a nominal fee for early entry.
To learn more, like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally’s Facebook page or follow their Twitter at @SturgisRally.