The Sundance Film Festival is the largest independent film festival the country has to offer. In 2019, over 122,000 people attended, with more than one-third coming from out of state. With that said, you may be wondering where exactly the Sundance Film Festival is held.
Every year, the Sundance Film Festival takes place in Park City, Utah, at the Sundance Resort. However, historically, the festival was not always hosted by this city.
Continue reading to learn more about where the next Sundance Film Festival will be hosted and how to get there.
Where Was the Sundance Film Festival Before Park City?
The Sundance Film Festival was originally an incentive to bring more filmmakers to Utah. The first event took place over 30 years ago, in September 1978, and was held in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The festival has also been hosted in Redford’s Sundance Village and Ogden City, although it currently calls Park City, Utah, and the Sundance Resort found here, its home.
The Sundance Resort is basically the festival’s hub. Eleven months out of the year, tourists can ski, spend time with loved ones, and enjoy breathtaking mountain views. Every January, however, it’s transformed into a movie lover’s paradise.
How Can I Get to the Sundance Music Festival?
If you don’t live in Utah or the surrounding states, your best bet is to fly. Park City does not have its own airport. However, the following Utah airports are less than 50 miles away from the city:
- Salt Lake City International Airport
- Provo Municipal Airport
- Ogden Hinckley Airport
Flying’s not your only option, however. Depending on where you live, you could:
- Take a bus. Greyhound accommodates both short-term and long-term passengers. It also has drop-off locations in the Park City/Salt Lake City area.
- Drive. Sundance has parking lots on and near the event site. Keep in mind that you might have to pay for parking. The price depends on who manages the lot and its location.
- Take an RV. The Sundance Film Festival has campgrounds and RV lots. Park City has a list of recommended campsites and lots on its official website.
Where to Stay for the Sundance Film Festival
As noted, you can camp on or near the Sundance Film Festival’s grounds. However, you have other options, such as:
- Booking a hotel. Park City has several hotels, both locally and chain-operated. Examples include the Doubletree by Hilton Park City, Park City Marriott, and Park City Peaks Hotel.
- Doing the trip in a day. You don’t have to stay for the entire 10-day festival; you can usually buy single-movie tickets for $15, and day passes for $75.
- Book an Airbnb. Per Airbnb’s website, over 40,000 guests have used the service to stay in the city. Options right now include renting entire houses or booking single rooms. Keep in mind that rates will likely increase the closer the festival gets.
Other Notable Locations Near the Sundance Film Festival
Before or after the festival, you may want to make the most of your trip by checking out some local attractions. Besides hitting the slopes at the Deer Valley Ski Resort, visitors can also:
Visit the Park City Museum
Park City saw a huge silver, gold, and lead boom in the 1860s. At the Park City Museum, visitors can interact with hands-on mining displays and visit the city’s first territorial jail. Here, visitors can view graffiti from the turn of the 20th century and learn about the jail’s most famous “guests.”
Ski at Park City Mountain Resort
This is the biggest ski resort in the United States. Not only can visitors learn how to ski (or brush up on their skills), but they can also trek the wellness trial, enjoy hot yoga, and paddleboard.
Visit Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City is about 40 minutes from Park City. The state’s capital is home to the Hogle Zoo, the Natural History Museum of Utah, and guided salt lake tours.
Spend the Day at Rockport State Park and Wasatch Mountain State Park
The Rockport State Park and Wasatch Mountain State Park are located 20 minutes (northwest and south, respectively) of Park City. There’s something for the entire family, including horseback riding, mountain biking, and 30 miles of trails.
Every year, the Sundance Film Festival takes place at the Sundance Resort in Park City, Utah. Your best option for attending the event depends on where you live. If you live out of state, flying is your best option. If you live locally, you can save money by commuting in your car.
For more information about the Sundance Film Festival 2022, check out its website or follow the event page on social media.