The Dyson Airwrap is a hair styling tool that curls, waves, and smooth blow dries without the need for extreme heat. Using an aerodynamic principle known as the Coanda effect, it curves air to attract and wrap hair to the barrel. While the results of the Dyson Airwrap are reported to be phenomenal, you may be wondering what is happening to cause the indicator light to flash.
A flashing indicator light on your Dyson Airwrap, whether white or red, indicates that the filter needs to be cleaned. A flashing white light is a general reminder that the Airwrap is due for its weekly filter cleaning, while a flashing red light is a more urgent signal to perform filter maintenance.
In some cases, a red light that continues to flash can indicate an Airwrap that needs to be reset, requiring the user to contact the Dyson helpline to sort through the problem. However, in the preponderance of cases, a flashing white or red light is a simple indication that the filter requires maintenance.
Why Is My Dyson Airwrap Flashing White?
The filter in the Dyson Airwrap must be cleaned every week to ensure its longevity and proper function. When a week has passed without cleaning, the indicator light will start flashing white as a reminder for filter maintenance.
To properly perform maintenance on the Airwrap filter and get the indicator light to stop flashing, take the following steps:
- Get a firm grip on the handle of the Airwrap and gently rotate the filter cage counterclockwise.
- Once the cage is loose, pull down and away from the machine. The filter cage should be moving off of the handle and toward the power cord.
- Rinse the filter cage under warm, running water to remove any large hairs or debris particles attached to the cage.
- After the initial rinse, completely submerge the filter cage in warm, soapy water and allow it to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the filter cage from the soapy water. Shake off any excess water that is clinging to the cage. Allow it to air dry completely.
- Slide the filter cleaning brush onto the filter mesh. The filter mesh is the part of the filtration system that remains on the machine handle after the filter cage has been removed.
- Using a smooth up and down motion, clean the filter mesh with the filter cleaning brush until all dust and debris have been removed. Use only the filter cleaning brush to clean the filter mesh, taking extra precautions to ensure that no water is used to clean the mesh.
- Slide the filter cage back onto the cleaned filter mesh, ensure proper alignment, and rotate clockwise into place for continued use.
Once these steps have been completed, the LED indicator light should be off until the next filter maintenance reminder the following week.
Why Is My Dyson Airwrap Flashing Red?
A flashing red indicator light on your Dyson Airwrap is another reminder that your filter requires maintenance. However, while the flashing white light is a subtle reminder, the flashing red light is a more urgent call to action.
There are a couple of reasons why you may see a flashing red light on your Dyson Airwrap:
- You have continued to ignore the flashing white light, and the red light is trying to get your attention that the filter needs to be serviced.
- The Airwrap detects something awry with the filtration system that requires your immediate attention. For example, the filter may be too clogged with debris to function properly.
When you see the flashing red light, you can use the same steps listed above for servicing your filter. However, as the red light indicates a potentially more urgent issue, take extra care in your cleaning efforts, and thoroughly examine the filter mesh to see if there are any troubling pieces of debris.
What if My Dyson Airwrap Continues to Flash Red?
In some rare cases, a Dyson Airwrap that continues to flash red, even after the filtration system has been serviced, could need a hard reset or professional inspection. When this is the case, contact the Dyson helpline to help them work through the issue with you.
The Dyson Airwrap is described as a revolutionary product that curls, waves, and blow-dries hair without extreme heat. If you notice the white indicator light flashing, it is a reminder that it has been one week since you last cleaned the filter, and regular filter maintenance is required. If the indicator light flashes red, it is a more urgent warning that the filter needs to be serviced and can usually be resolved using the same steps for the flashing white indicator light.
If the red light continues to flash, contact the Dyson helpline to work through this rare occurrence.