Your Kasa Plug can turn any “dumb” appliance into a smart one. With the push of a button, you can turn on your lamps, appliances, and other outlet-bound devices. However, if it’s unresponsive for any reason, the plug becomes just an extension of your outlet and nothing more.
A Kasa Plug may be unresponsive because it is not receiving power from its outlet, is not connected to stable Wi-Fi, or simply needs to be reset.
Continue reading to learn more about troubleshooting your Kasa plug when it’s unresponsive. Worst case scenario, if it stops working unexpectedly, you could get repairs or a replacement under the product’s warranty.
Why is My Kasa Plug Unresponsive (Not Working)?
If you have a device, such as a light, connected to your Kasa Plug, but it is not turning on or responding, consider the following:
Make Sure the Outlet Is Getting Power
If there is no power going to your Kasa Plug’s outlet, it will not control any attached devices. You can see if your outlet is getting power by doing one of the following:
- Test the outlet’s voltage. Your issue might be a problem with your home’s power supply, not your Kasa Plug. To test your outlet’s voltage, you can use the AstroAl Digital Multimeter; this device will measure whether your outlet is getting sufficient power. Your Kasa Plug needs at least 100 volts to work.
- Check your fuse box. When you open your fuse box, all of the switches should be facing the same direction. If one is out of place, this could be the culprit. Flip it so that it aligns with the other switches. You may need a professional to check your wiring grid if there is an underlying problem.
Unplug the Device
Sometimes, the easiest solution is the best one. If your Kasa Plug is unresponsive, try unplugging it for about 10 seconds. If you plug it back in, and it’s still not responding, try plugging it into a different outlet.
Alternatively, you can restore it to factory settings and try setting it up all over again. To perform a factory reset, press the reset button until the light blinks amber. From there, go into the Kasa Smart app and reconnect your device to your Wi-Fi network. It may ask you to rename the device or enter other information.
You can learn more about resetting your Kasa Plug by clicking here.
Kasa Plug Blinking Red
If your Kasa Plug is blinking red, that means that it is not connected to the internet. You can reconnect your device through the Kasa Smart app by following these instructions. Basically, you will need to log into the app, select your device, and enter your Wi-Fi information.
If you’re still getting a red light, try connecting your Kasa Plug to your phone’s mobile hotspot. This can help you determine whether the issue is with your device or your network.
Kasa Plug Blinking Blue
The answer to this question depends on the status of the blue light. For instance:
- If the blue light is rapidly blinking, it is connecting to the internet. If this happens constantly, you might have an unstable connection.
- If the blue light is solid, you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
You can learn more about what the different colors on your Kasa Plug mean by clicking here.
Kasa Plug Won’t Connect to Alexa
There could be a few reasons why this is happening. Consider how the following solutions could help your problem:
- Unplug your device. Try unplugging your Kasa Plug and then reinserting it. Then, connect it to your Alexa using the Alexa app.
- Reconnect to the internet. If your Kasa Plug does not have an internet connection, then it won’t be able to “talk” to your Alexa.
- Reset your Alexa. You can do this by holding down on the action button for 25 seconds until the light blinks orange.
You should also make sure that both of your products have the latest firmware updates. You can check for updates by going into each device’s respective app.
Does the Kasa Plug Need My Location?
Generally, the plug needs access to location services because the device needs to “know” where your router is. Also, if you want to set scheduled functions, it can adjust to your time zone. So, while it’s not required to allow the Kasa Plug to know your location, enabling this feature will give you access to a few more smart settings.
It’s also worth noting that even if you currently don’t have location services enabled on your Kasa Smart app, this will not contribute to any issues with the Kasa Plug not being responsive. The issue likely lies with its power or Wi-Fi connection.
There could be a handful of reasons why your Kasa Plug isn’t responding. It could be an issue with your Wi-Fi connection or power source. If a factory defect is the source of your problem, you could file a warranty claim.