Visiting Independence Hall in Philadelphia is a must for anyone with an interest in the early history of the United States. As the birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, this iconic landmark attracts thousands of visitors annually. However, parking near Independence Hall can be challenging, especially during peak tourist seasons.
There are several parking options available when visiting Independence Hall, including metered street parking and nearby parking garages. The closest parking garage is the AutoPark at Independence Mall, located just a few blocks away.
To help you avoid parking woes, we have compiled a list of the best parking spots around Independence Hall.
Overview Of Parking Options
When planning your visit to Independence Hall, it is essential to consider the various parking options available in the area. These include:
- On-street parking
- Parking lots and garages
- Public transportation and Park & Ride
- Accessible parking for visitors with disabilities
Each option has advantages and drawbacks, so it’s crucial to weigh your needs and preferences before deciding.
On-street parking is the most convenient option if you can find a spot. Several streets around Independence Hall offer metered parking, but availability can be limited, especially during peak hours. Critical areas with on-street parking include:
- Chestnut Street – This Street runs parallel to Independence Hall and offers metered parking on both sides.
- Market Street – Another parallel street to Independence Hall, Market Street also has metered parking spaces.
- 5th Street – One block east of Independence Hall, 5th Street has limited on-street parking spots.
- 6th Street – This Street lies one block west of Independence Hall and offers additional on-street parking options.
Remember that on-street parking in Philadelphia is subject to time restrictions and hourly rates, which may vary depending on the location. Be sure to read parking signs carefully to avoid fines and towing.
Parking Lots And Garages
If on-street parking is not available or unsuitable for your needs, several parking lots and garages are within walking distance of Independence Hall. These facilities typically offer daily and hourly rates; some may even have discounted rates for early birds or weekends. Here are some of the top parking lots and garages in the area:
- Independence Mall Underground Garage
Located at 5th and Market Streets, this underground garage is the closest parking facility to Independence Hall. It offers over 400 spaces, including accessible parking spots for people with disabilities. Rates vary depending on the time and duration of your visit.
- Parkway Corporation’s AutoPark At Independence Mall
Situated at 5th and Arch Streets, this multi-level garage is only a few blocks from Independence Hall. It provides more than 500 parking spaces and offers discounted rates for weekends and holidays.
- The Bourse Garage
Located at 4th and Ranstead Streets, the Bourse Garage is a short walk from Independence Hall. This facility has over 300 spaces and offers hourly and daily rates.
- The Franklin Garage
Situated at 8th and Arch Streets, The Franklin Garage is a bit further away from Independence Hall but offers competitive rates and ample parking spaces.
- Old City Parkominium
Located at 2nd and Sansom Streets, this parking facility is about a 10-minute walk from Independence Hall. It offers hourly and daily rates and has over 500 parking spaces.
Watch this amazing video to add some amazing to-do-list on your visit to the Independence Hall:
Public Transportation And Park & Ride
Another option to consider when visiting Independence Hall is using public transportation or Park & Ride facilities. These options can save you the hassle of finding a parking spot near the historic site while reducing your carbon footprint. Key public transportation options include:
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) operates buses, trolleys, and trains throughout Philadelphia and the surrounding region. You can take the Market-Frankford Line (blue line) to the 5th Street/Independence Hall Station, a short walk from Independence Hall.
The Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO) runs high-speed trains between Philadelphia and South Jersey. The 8th and Market Street Station is a 10-minute walk from Independence Hall.
The Phlash Downtown Loop is a seasonal shuttle service connecting major Philadelphia tourist attractions, including Independence Hall. The shuttle runs daily from May through October and on weekends from November through April.
- Park & Ride
For those driving to Philadelphia, Park & Ride facilities allow you to park your car and take public transportation to Independence Hall. Some famous Park & Ride locations include:
- Frankford Transportation Center
Park your car at this facility and take the Market-Frankford Line to the 5th Street/Independence Hall Station.
- Woodcrest Station (PATCO)
Located in Cherry Hill, NJ, this Park & Ride facility offers free parking and quick access to PATCO trains, which will take you to the 8th and Market Street Station in Philadelphia.
Visitors with disabilities have several options for accessible parking near Independence Hall. Some of the primary options include:
- Independence Mall Underground Garage – As mentioned earlier, this underground garage at 5th and Market Streets offers accessible parking spaces for visitors with disabilities.
- Parkway Corporation’s AutoPark at Independence Mall – Located at 5th and Arch Streets, this multi-level garage provides accessible parking spots.
- On-Street Accessible Parking – There are limited on-street accessible parking spaces near Independence Hall. These spaces are designated with a blue curb and signage. Be prepared to display a valid disabled parking permit or license plate to use these spaces.
- Accessible Parking at The Liberty Bell Center – The Liberty Bell Center, located across the Street from Independence Hall, offers limited accessible parking spaces for visitors with disabilities. These spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Locking parking near Independence Hall can be challenging, yet with careful preparation and awareness of the various choices accessible. You can have a stress-free experience at this renowned American monument.
You can select the most appropriate parking option for your requirements by examining street parking, parking lots, garages, public transportation, and accessible parking alternatives. Consider the recommendations outlined in this article to optimize your visit to Independence Hall.