For anybody looking to tone or build up their strength, having dumbbells in their workout gear arsenal is a must. One of the most popular options is Bowflex dumbbells. The Bowflex dumbbells are the first choice for many people due to the speed and ease with which you can adjust the weight, which is as simple as turning the dial on the end of each dumbbell. Turning the dial adds or releases weights until you get to the right weight for you.
However, sometimes the speed and ease come with some drawbacks. The main issue you are likely to deal with if you have Bowflex dumbbells is that they get stuck. The two ways this can happen (usually at the same time) are that the dial gets stuck so you cannot adjust the weight, or the entire dumbbell gets stuck in the cradle so you cannot lift it out. However, there is no need to worry as there is a way to deal with both of these issues. Read on to find out how!
How Do I Fix Stuck Bowflex Dumbbells?
If your Bowflex is stuck in its cradle and the dials will not turn, it can be easy to become frustrated. However, you can take reassurance in the fact that this is not only a fairly common problem but that it is an easy one to fix.
How Do I Remove the Dumbbell from the Base?
The most important thing to keep in mind is safety. You do not want to be in a position where you have weights falling everywhere, or where you lose grip on the dumbbell and end up with broken toes or worse. To avoid any of these kinds of issues, place the dumbbell, (cradle and all) in a clear space on the floor. Once the dumbbell is on the floor take the following steps to remove it from the cradle:
- Locate the Dumbbell logo. This logo should be right in the center of the base.
- Once you have located the logo, place your foot directly against it. Make sure that you are balanced.
- Grab the dumbbell with one hand and pull it up toward your body. This should release the dumbbell from the base.
How Do I Unstick the Dial?
Now that you have removed the dumbbell from the base, you can focus on fixing the stuck dial. The first thing you want to do is remove any plates that may still be in the dumbbell. To do this, push the black lock button which is located near the bar. Simultaneously twist the dial, making sure to keep your fingers clear so they don’t get pinched. The plate should fall out. Repeat on the other side if necessary.
Once the plates have all been removed take the following steps:
- Turn the dial to 5 pounds. You will need to push the black lock button while twisting the dial the same as before until it gets to 5 pounds. Repeat on the other side.
- Next, return the plates to the dumbbell. Before you do locate, the silver selector tabs.
- Slide the plates back into their place with the silver selector tabs facing the outside of the dumbbell.
- Once all the plates have been put back in place with the silver selector tabs facing out, put the handle back on. Twist the dials on both sides. They should now twist without any issue.
To safely put the dumbbell back, return it to its base and twist the dials until they are between weight settings. This will lock the dumbbell to the base, so it does not fall off while you are moving it. Return it to the stand.
For any great strength-building workout, having the proper gear is a must and one aspect of that gear is a great set of dumbbells. Bowflex dumbbells are a great option because they are easy and quick to adjust, meaning you can get more work done in less time and then move on with your day. However, their main problem is that sometimes the dumbbells can get stuck in their base or the dials will get stuck.
To fix these problems, first set the dumbbell, base, and all in a clear space on the floor. Press your foot into the base and pull the dumbbell up to your body. To release any plates, press the black lock button and twist the dials until they slide out. Put the plates back in with the silver selector tabs facing out, and then put the handle back in. Return to the base, and twist the dials so they are between weight settings to lock it back into the base.