- Independent testers have measured Nerf Bullets traveling at over thirty miles an hour.
- Nerf bullets can cause serious eye damage in children and adults.
- Eye protection is inexpensive and effective.
- Many injuries from Nerf Guns are to adults who have been shot by a child.
- Visit BlasterPros.com for additional Nerf Gun information.
Nerf Guns are an incredibly popular toy, providing hours of active fun and entertainment for many children and adults alike.
However, they do fall underneath the “handle with care” category, so proper care should be taken when using them.
Eye injuries that have been caused by Nerf bullets include bruising, torn retinas, and in rare cases, blindness.
Types of Injuries
Even though Nerf guns can most frequently be found in the hands of children, a surprising number of adults end up with eye injuries from Nerf guns. Why is that, you ask? Well, adults generally aren’t shooting each other in the eyes.
It’s their children! When children are running around shooting Nerf guns, there are bound to be casualties, and unfortunately, sometimes those casualties include getting shot in the eye. Whether it’s you who got shot in the eye, or a child, it’s good to know what kinds of eye injuries can result from a toy before you purchase it and give it to children.
- Bruising – Bruising can occur around the eye, resulting in a black eye. This can be the only injury that occurs, or this could be a symptom of something more serious.
- Cloudy or Blurred Vision – This could also be a symptom of something more serious, so if you are experiencing cloudy vision after having been shot in the eye, and it doesn’t go away fairly quickly, you need to go see a doctor.
- Blood In Your Eye – This can mean a number of things. Some of the two most serious are things like a torn retina, or a flattened pupil. If you notice blood in your, or your child’s eye, go to the doctor right away, as surgery may be needed to prevent permanent blindness.
- Flashes of Light – Similar to some types of migraines, you may experience flashes of light in the eye where you were struck if this doesn’t go away quickly, it should be checked out by a doctor.
- Any kind of incessant eye pain – Even if you have no visible marks or eye distortion, if you are experiencing eye pain consistently after getting shot in the eye, you need to go get your eye checked out.
What To Do
If you or a child you are caring for have been shot in the eye with a Nerf Gun, do not rub your eyes. This will more than likely be your initial reaction, but try and remember not to do it. If you have any debris in your eyes from being shot, or the surface of your eye has been torn, rubbing your eye is only going to make things worse, possibly damaging your eye even further.
If you develop a black eye, are experiencing any ocular distortions (such as blurry vision, flashes or black or white, or difficulty focusing), or have an increase in pain where you move your eye, you need to see a doctor and have him examine you. Delaying this only increases your chances of permanent eye damage and possible blindness.
So what can you do? You can apply a cold compress or icepack to the area around your eye, but do not apply any pressure to the eye itself. Take over the counter painkillers like ibuprofen or aleve for the pain, and go see a doctor.
One of the best ways to avoid getting hurt is to take some simple preventative measures. The best part? They don’t detract from the fun at all! There are a variety of safety glasses and goggles that can be purchased and used to prevent eye injury if a stray bullet or two happens to hit you in the face.
- Swimming Goggles – You may already have these, and if you do, that’s great! While you may not want to wear these for nerf battles as an adult, your kids aren’t going to care, and not having to buy separate products for swimming and Nerf Gun battles could save you money. You can purchase goggles from Amazon by clicking here.
- Safety Glasses – These are a more adult option, and you may already have a pair of these around for doing work around the house. If you don’t, they are easy to find at a number of different stores, as well as online. Click here to buy safety glasses from Amazon.