This year, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Comic-Con was online. Users were able to register online and attend the event from home. However, plans are underway for Comic-Con San Diego: Special Edition, a smaller event taking place in the fall. The big question, though, is how much will it cost?
At this time, Comic-Con San Diego: Special Edition does not have prices listed on its website; it says that details are forthcoming regarding the event. However, in the past, Comic-Con: San Diego has cost visitors anywhere from $22 to $66 a day.
These were just baseline entry fees for the 2019 convention. These prices do not include the price of attending special appearances, purchasing memorabilia, and parking. Continue reading to learn more about attending Comic-Con this year and how much it costs.
How Much Does It Cost to Go to Comic-Con?
Comic-Con isn’t just one convention. While the main attraction is in San Diego, California, major cities all over the country have their own spin on the event. Visitors can attend the annual event in cities like Chicago, Orlando, and New York City.
Comic-Con’s various city-based events all come with their own prices. In general, you can either purchase tickets for one day or purchase tickets for multiple days at a time. In addition to paying for tickets, you may also find yourself spending money on:
|Depending on the celebrity, autographs can cost anywhere from $20 to $100 each.
|Costs for parking at the San Diego Convention Center will be announced in the days leading up to the event, but in 2019, parking cost anywhere from $10 to $50.
|The Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter is the closest hotel to the San Diego Convention Center. Rooms currently start at around $200 a night.
|You can get an idea of how much Comic-Con merch costs by visiting the event’s online store. T-shirts, for instance, cost around $20. Comic books cost anywhere from $1 to $1.1 million!
It’s worth noting that Comic-Con San Diego: Special Edition is a “smaller, supplemental event,” according to the event’s website. With that being said, visitors could see higher entry fees than they would at the standard annual event.
How Much Is Comic-Con Online?
Comic Con’s at Home main event this year was free online. This was in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, which prompted fears about dense populations packed into various locations.
For Comic-Con San Diego this year, users were able to sign up and watch interviews, browse merchandise selections, and attend other virtual events. Comic-Con: San Diego’s traditional in-person convention was pushed back to summer 2022, where hopefully, diehard comic book fans can participate in live events.
Will Comic-Con Prices Change in the Future?
If everything goes as planned for Comic-Con San Diego 2022, the prices shouldn’t fluctuate by more than a couple of dollars compared to previous years.
Comic-Con’s event organizers acknowledge that Comic-Con San Diego: Special Edition is a rare event. While they have not announced pricing yet, tickets might be more expensive than usual because of high demand.
Based on previous years’ prices, it generally costs anywhere from $22 to $66 a day to attend Comic-Con. These prices depend on whether:
- You’re bringing a child. Children under 12 enter Comic-Con for free!
- You’re a senior, junior (between 12 and 17 years old), or veteran. In 2019, these tickets went anywhere from $22 to $33, depending on the day you attended.
- You’re attending the Comic-Con “preview.” These tickets cost anywhere from $24 to $48 in 2019.
How to Stay Updated on Comic-Con’s Special Edition Costs
Right now, there’s admittedly scarce information online regarding what the final costs of this year’s Comic-Con: Special Edition will be. Some attendees wonder whether the event will happen at all, given the increase in COVID-19 cases.
However, there are a few ways you can stay up to date on any news regarding ticket prices and event happenings:
- Follow Comic-Con’s Facebook page. Here, you can get weekly updates on the event itself, as well as other comic-related news.
- Visit Comic Con’s website. As the event draws closer, event organizations will share updates via the convention’s main website. Click here to learn more about the most recent updates.
- Follow Comic Con’s Twitter account. Comic Con’s Twitter handle is @Comic_Con. Event organizers will share updates, attendance information, and other relevant information as it becomes available.
- Follow your favorite artists on social media. Some people attend Comic-Con to buy “merch” from specific artists. If possible, follow these artists on social media, as they may reveal things about Comic-Con San Diego: Special Edition before details are released to the general public.
Information online is scarce regarding how much it costs to attend Comic-Con this year. That’s because planners are carefully monitoring the pandemic before they announce mandates and prices to the public.
Entry fees, as noted, might be more expensive this year than in the past because of attendance limitations. However, regardless of the price, the number of activities and features available will typically be well worth the price.