I’m not going to lie; I really thought that MCM stood for “Marvel Comic Movies.” However, upon closer inspection, it’s much more than that. Much, much more than that. First of all, “MCM” stands for Movie Comic Media, an organization that hosts Comic-Con in the United Kingdom.
The MCM Comic-Con is a three-day event that celebrates all things speculative fiction, including literature, games, comic books, and movies. Similar to Comic-Con in the United States, visitors are encouraged to “cosplay” and purchase memorabilia.
This year, MCM Comic-Con will be held in London and Birmingham. Continue reading to learn more about this exciting event and what visitors can expect later this year.
What’s the Difference Between MCM Comic-Con and US Comic-Con?
The primary difference between MCM Comic-Con and the American Comic-Con is the subject matter. While American Comic-Cons primarily focus on superheroes, MCM Comic-Con encompasses a broader range of subjects in speculative fiction.
“Speculative fiction” is basically a blanket term for any fictional universe that doesn’t abide by the rules of this universe. Specific examples of speculative fiction would include Doctor Who and Harry Potter. However, it can also encompass the following genres:
- Science fiction
- Role-playing games
- Alternative history, like retrofuturism (i.e., steampunk and vaporwave)
- Supernatural events
- Alternative universes
- Dystopias and utopias
What Do You Do at MCM Comic-Con?
As noted, MCM Comic-Con is an event where fans of speculative fiction can come together and share interests. Right now, there are two upcoming events: one in London, which will take place October 22 to October 24, and one in Birmingham, which will take place November 13 to November 14.
Typically, these events are three days long. Visitors can:
- Cosplay. Many MCM Comic-Con fans come dressed as their favorite characters. While this is not necessary, it adds to the event’s atmosphere. Both London and Birmingham’s conventions feature cosplay competitions, where cosplayers can compete for titles and prizes.
- Check out guest panels. Here, visitors can attend conferences hosted by their favorite speculative fantasy stars. In 2019, panelists included Supernatural’s Misha Collins, the Green Arrow’s Stephen Amell, and DC cartoonist John Beatty.
- Partake in side quests. Like games? MCM Comic-Con’s got you covered. Whether you’re a fan of tabletop games or retro arcade favorites, there’s something for everyone.
- Visit Pop Asia. If you like Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, or more niche anime, Pop Asia is for you. Here, you can peruse merchants’ manga collections, interact with live exhibits, and meet like-minded otakus.
How Much Does MCM Comic-Con Cost?
MCM Comic-Con released its online prices on July 27, 2021. It’s worth mentioning that it’s less expensive to attend MCM Comic-Con: Birmingham than to attend MCM Comic-Con: London––but not by much.
Ultimately, how much it costs to attend these events depend on:
- What days you attend. This year’s events run from Friday to Sunday. You could find yourself paying extra for “early entry” on Friday and Sunday. General admission runs anywhere from £20 to £25 (about $27 to $34).
- Whether you’re attending the event online. Worried about going to a packed convention center in the middle of a pandemic? MCM Comic-Con’s got you covered. If you attend the digital event, you generally pay about £15 (or $20).
- Whether you’re attending as an individual or in a group. You could get discounted rates if you’re traveling in a group.This price varies on whether your party primarily comprises children or adults.
Remember: these are just the baseline prices for admission. They do not account for add-ons, costume contest entries, and hotel rooms.
What Should You Expect at MCM Comic-Con?
The event’s organizers are prioritizing guests’ health and safety. As such, both London and Birmingham’s events are asking that you provide one of the following:
- Proof of your vaccination records
- Proof of a negative COVID test taken within the last 48 hours
- Proof of your natural immunity shown by a positive PCR test
Additionally, you may expect:
- Smaller crowds. Both events are restricting the number of people who can attend. As such, you should consider purchasing your tickets as soon as possible, so you don’t miss out.
- Enhanced cleaning measures. Visitors can use hand sanitizer stands, as well as other measures to limit the spread of germs.
- Mask-encouraged events. If you provide one of the three documents listed above, you don’t have to wear a mask indoors. However, event organizers recommend that you do so for your own health and safety.
What Happens if MCM Comic-Con Gets Canceled?
MCM Comic-Con’s organizers are carefully monitoring the Covid-19 pandemic. In fact, a similar event was slated to take place in Scotland but was canceled due to concerns about the virus.
If the event gets canceled due to government mandates, you will receive a full refund without taking any further action. The event’s website notes that some guest stars may not appear based on their own concerns about the virus, as well as personal obligations.
MCM Comic-Con is an annual event in the United Kingdom that celebrates all things fantasy and fantasy-adjacent. For more information about the events in London and Birmingham, click here.