MikroTik is a manufacturer that sells network routers, network switches, access points, operating systems, and more. Marketed as making wireless solutions available in emerging markets, MikroTik routers are affordable and readily available across numerous platforms. But how do you check to make sure that you are operating on the latest version of your MikroTik router?
Regardless of which interface your system uses, the steps for checking the latest MikroTik version will be largely similar and highly intuitive. If you are struggling to find the correct location for your MikroTik router update, use the following steps to guide you through the process.
How to Check MikroTik Version
The latest MikroTik version can be checked using Winbox, console, Webfig, or QuickSet. Each of these is an administration program that can be downloaded to help manage MikroTik functions.
While the process will be extremely similar using any of the programs, the following steps will be described using a Winbox interface.
Download Winbox to Your Computer and Connect to MikroTik Router
Winbox is software that allows you to access administrative tools for the MikroTik router. Go to the MikroTik download page to get Winbox on your computer. After winbox.exe successfully downloads, you can double click on the Winbox icon, and the Winbox loader interface will pop up.
From here, enter the router IP or Mac address of the router, specify the username and password, and click Connect. This will ensure that you can successfully manage your MikroTik router through the Winbox interface.
Check for Version Updates
Once Winbox is installed on your computer, it will automatically scan for software updates. To check and see if it has located any new versions, take the following steps:
- Click the File tab in the upper left-hand corner of the Winbox interface.
- Select System from the dropdown menu.
- Select Packages from the submenu.
- A new window called Package List will appear. In the upper left-hand corner of this new window, select Check for Updates.
- After the download is complete, you will see a message in the status bar saying that the download was successful.
- This will open yet another window that displays the current MikroTik version and any available upgrades. Click on either Download or Download & Upgrade.
- If you clicked on Download, you will need to reboot the MikroTik router manually to complete the installation. If you chose Download & Upgrade, the router will reboot automatically after all files are downloaded.
How to Complete a MikroTik Firmware Upgrade
After the latest MikroTik version has been downloaded, the next step is to make sure that the latest firmware version has been installed, as well. The firmware is an essential element in ensuring the functionality of your MikroTik router, as it will provide the necessary instructions for how your MikroTik router will communicate with your computer hardware.
Use the following steps to help you through your MikroTik firmware upgrade:
- Open Winbox and click the File tab in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Select System from the dropdown menu.
- Select Routerboard from the submenu.
- This will open up a new window called Routerboard. This window will display the current and latest version of the MikroTik firmware.
- Click Upgrade on the right-hand side of the window. The system will ask for confirmation, requiring you to click Yes to update the latest firmware.
- Reboot the MikroTik router to ensure that you are no longer operating on the old firmware.
Benefits of Operating on the Latest MikroTik Version
As with any technology or software, it is important to be operating on the latest version to take advantage of all features and functionality. With the MikroTik router, users report some of the following benefits:
- Highly customizable, with users being able to make different configurations based on their particular needs
- Easy to manage through multiple administration programs
- Expanded options for creating firewall filters on the router: using MikroTik software, users can select a connection state, packet size, and specify packet content
- The ability to use MikroTik routers in transparent mode: when placed in front of a firewall, only the allocated public IP address is allowed to communicate with the Internet, allowing users to allocate a specific bandwidth or speed
The MikroTik router is an affordable, high-functioning wireless solution that provides Internet access to a broad market. As such, it is essential to keep the latest version installed to ensure optimal functionality.
By using an administration program such as Winbox, the straightforward steps listed above can help you install the latest MikroTik version detected by the software.