When getting things set up on your Canon Printer, you may not note some essential details, such as the machine’s IP Address. So how can you find out your Printer’s IP Address? Like your physical address, an IP Address helps entities understand your location in the context of the digital world. This information is handy on a printer that needs to connect.
There are three main routes through which you can find out your Printer’s IP Address. These are the Printer itself, your Windows PC, or through the router. Each course will give you other related information as well. Although, it is essential to note that you can only glean data through a connection for the last two.
Each of these can be accessed by following the instructions laid out below. Please keep reading to learn more about the different ways to access your Printer IP Address and what an IP Address is, and how it is a valuable piece of information.
How to Find Your Canon Printer’s IP Address
If you have a Canon Printer connected to your network, you can find the IP address in several ways. However, it depends on a number of factors, such as the options available through the Printer’s menu, the type of operating system you use, and more. However, here are the three main ways to make this happen.
Using the Printer Menu
In most cases, you can find the Printer’s IP Address through its menu. However, because the menu function on different Canon Printers works differently, this may not always apply. It may even be that accessing the menu is well hidden and difficult to find. If you have your Printer’s instruction manual with you, you should be able to do this fairly quickly.
Once you know how to access the menu, here’s what you need to do:
- Switch on your Canon Printer, and click on the Menu Button.
- Navigate through the options in the menu and find the Network settings.
- You may see options such as the IP Address, Network, WiFi status, or TCP/IP options.
- Canon will house your Printer’s IP address in this part of the menu.
In some cases, you may not be able to access the menu, or your Printer may not have the functionality to display the IP address. If you have a Windows computer at home, you can still find the IP Address through the next step.
Viewing Windows PC Configurations
When you are using a Windows computer, there are several ways to find the IP Address of a connected Printer. One of the easiest ways of doing this is to look for the Printer properties. Here’s how to check this:
- Switch on your computer and Canon Printer, and connect the two.
- Select the ‘Start’ menu on your taskbar (with the Windows logo)
- Select the ‘Settings’ button and then ‘Devices’ in the new window.
- From here, navigate to the ‘Printers & scanners’ tab.
- Select your Printer, and then select ‘Manage’ from the options that pop up.
- In the new window, select the option ‘Printer properties.’
- You will be able to see a pop-up on your screen. Here, you select the tab ‘Ports.’
- In this listing, you will be able to see the IP Address.
- If you cannot see the IP Address, try clicking on ‘Configure Port.
- You will see the IP Address in the ‘System info’ tab in this window.
It is important to remember that this process will only work if you have your Printer connected via a network. If you are using a USB port, it will only read that information and relay it to you accordingly.
Run Mac Configurations
For computers running under the MacOS system, the process to view IP information is a little different. Here’s how to gather Printer IP data through your Mac computer.
- Switch on your Mac and the Printer, and connect the two.
- Open up your ‘System Preferences’ by clicking on the Button on the left-most corner at the top of your screen.
- Select the option ‘Printers and Scanners.’
- Choose your Canon Printer from the list that shows up next.
- Select the button ‘Options and Supplies.’
- Under location, you will see your Printer’s IP Address listed.
Checking Through The Connected Router
Perhaps you have a Mac computer, and you cannot run the configuration as mentioned above. In the case that this is a home office Printer, there is another easy fix if none of the steps above work. A home router collects all of the information on IP and can be easily accessed through the router’s menu.
This method is through the router itself, which contains information on all the IP Addresses being used. You will need to go through the setup settings of your router. Here’s how:
- Open up your preferred web browser and start a new tab.
- Copy this to your search bar: 192.168.1.1 – and press the Enter button.
- Login to the router by signing in with your username and password.
- In your Local Network settings, look for a Client table or list.
- In the client list, you will see a list of all of your devices and their IP Addresses.
How Is An IP Address Used?
An IP Address is a 12-digit numerical address assigned to your devices when connecting to your network. The benefit of having an IP Address is that it can really help when dealing with serious printing issues. Not only that, but knowing your IP can also come in handy when you are trying to connect to new devices.
Having knowledge of your Canon Printer IP is vital, but the process may not be just as easy. You can either approach the search for your Printer IP Address through the Printer menu, your computer’s printing options, or through the router itself. Either way, having this information will be sure to make your life a lot easier.