The US Open is one of four tennis competitions that make up the Grand Slam. It’s usually held in the last week of August and the first week of September, as the tournament takes two weeks. Players compete for prize money, trophies, and titles.
The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center hosts the US Open Tennis, located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in New York City. The 45.6-acre park, which has 22 courts, is near the New York Hall of Science and Queens Zoo.
Continue reading to learn more about the US Open Tennis and the history of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The event ends on September 12.
Who is Hosting the Tennis US Open?
The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center has hosted the tennis US Open since 1978.
Formerly known as the “USTA National Tennis Center,” the site was dedicated to professional tennis player Billie Jean King in 2006. (King won the US Open Tennis four times.)
How to Get to the USTA Billie Jean National Tennis Center
Your best option for getting to the US Open largely depends on where you live. For instance, if you live in New York City, you could take the subway. However, if you don’t live within New York’s five boroughs, you could:
Book a Flight
Many (if not most) commercial airlines are operating at full capacity. LaGuardia Airport is located in Queens, NY, and would be a good option if you’re coming in from out of state. However, you could also arrive at JFK International Airport, which is also located in Queens.
After arriving in New York, you can take a taxi, bus, or rideshare service to the US Open.
Take a Bus
If you live in the New York City metropolitan area, you could take a bus to the stadium. Per the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), you generally have four options when taking the bus:
- You could take a local bus, which operates within specific areas (including Queens).
- You can take an express bus, which usually operates during weekday rush hours. Rush hours usually include weekdays between 6:30 am and 9:30 am, 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, and 3:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
- You could take a select bus service (SBS) bus, which requires you to buy tickets before boarding.
- You could take a limited bus, which only provides service to certain locations at certain hours.
Greyhound also offers bus fare for those traveling from out of state or outside of NYC.
Drive Your Own Car
Down to take a road trip? Simply type in “Flushing Meadow – Corona Park, Flushing, NY 11368” into your GPS app and go on your way. Google Maps, Apple Maps, and Waze all offer direct routes to and from the stadium.
Watch It on TV
Rather watch the US Open from the comfort of your living room? Not a problem. ESPN airs the US Open every year. You can also subscribe to Amazon’s Tennis TV, which also grants you access to the program. The times and dates of airing depend on what method you use to watch and where you live.
Arriving at the US Open
Once you arrive at the US Open, you’ll need to have your ticket and a photo ID ready. You might have to follow Covid-19 mandates (like wearing a mask) to gain entry. The US Open is not general admission. You’ll have to find the seat that’s listed on your ticket. You can make changes at the box office. However, you can also make requests online through the ticket vendor.
When is the Tennis US Open?
The US Open is still ongoing. The first competition took place on August 30, 2021, and will conclude on September 12, 2021.
Whether you’re just an interested spectator or a diehard tennis fan, the US Open is one of the most intense, high-profile tournaments the sport has to offer.
What if I Miss the US Open?
If you missed the US Open, not to worry; the competition happens every year. As mentioned, it’s part of the Grand Slam, a four-part tennis competition that takes place in different parts of the world. The Grand Slam begins in January and proceeds until September. It goes in this order:
- The Grand Slam starts with the Australian Open, held at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne.
- Following the Australian Open is the French Open, which is also called Roland-Garros. It’s held at the Stade Roland-Garros in Paris, usually beginning in late May.
- Then players can try their hands at the Wimbledon, which begins in late June and early July. It’s held in London, England, at the All England Club.
- The US Open is the last competition in the Grand Slam. As noted, it’s located in Queens, NY, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
The Grand Slam is one of the biggest tennis matches. However, all year long, you can go to other competitions.
Every year, the US Open Tennis is at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens, NY. Your best option for getting there depends on where you live. If you can’t make it this year, not to worry; the four-part event is held every year in various locations worldwide.