The right vacuum can mean the difference between a quick cleaning session and a long, frustrating one. If you’re considering the Dyson V6 Absolute, you probably want to learn as much about it as you can.
- Rechargeable battery
- Runs for up to 20 minutes
- Direct driver cleaner for carpet
- Soft roller cleaner for hardwood floors
- Transforms into a handheld vacuum
- Combination tool for crevices and surfaces
- Crevice tool for hard to reach surfaces
- Mini motorized tool for pet hair
- Whole machine HEPA filtration
- Hygienic one-click bin for easy emptying
All these features sound cool, but they don’t mean much if you don’t know what they do. The Dyson V6 Absolute deserves more than a list of its most prominent features.
How to Use the Dyson V6 Absolute
If you’ve used a traditional vacuum, the Dyson V6 absolute can be a nice change. You don’t have to worry about dragging around a heavy vacuum or finding an outlet in each room.
The Dyson V6 Absolute runs on a rechargeable battery. Its stick design is lightweight and easy to carry from room to room, which can be helpful if you have a larger home. You can also choose the right vacuum head based on the floor or room you need to clean.
However, before you attempt to use the Dyson V6 Absolute, you need to give it a proper charge. Without enough battery, you won’t be able to finish the job you started. When it comes to vacuuming, you don’t want to leave a room half-finished.
When you first get a Dyson V6 absolute, you may need to be patient. That initial charge can take much longer than you expect. Once you get going, though, it will be easier and faster.
Charging the Vacuum
One of the most important things when it comes to using a cordless vacuum is powering it. While traditional vacuums can rely on power from an outlet, that’s not the case with the Dyson V6 Absolute.
Unfortunately, the vacuum can take upwards of three and a half hours to charge for the first time. That can be especially annoying when you consider that a single charge doesn’t result in three hours of battery life.
A single charge only lasts for about 20 minutes of vacuuming. However, the power only turns on when you use the vacuum. You won’t have to worry about it staying on when in standby.
To charge the vacuum, you’ll need to use the cord that comes with it. You can plug the cord into your typical wall outlet, and the other end of the cord plugs into the vacuum itself. After that first charge, it shouldn’t take as long to reach a full battery, though you should still charge it regularly to avoid a dead battery in the middle of vacuuming.
Choosing the Right Cleaner Head
Once you charge your Dyson V6 Absolute, you’re almost ready to start vacuuming. However, don’t be so quick to start cleaning. The vacuum comes with multiple heads that you can change out, so you’ll have to choose the right one for the job.
With the Dyson V6 absolute, you get a direct driver head, which is perfect for getting deep into carpeting. This vacuum also comes with a soft roller head that’s better suited for cleaning hard floors. There are also other heads for more specific uses, so you should be able to exchange them to fit your needs.
How to Change Out the Head
Changing out the head on the Dyson V6 Absolute is surprisingly easy. All you have to do is slide your chosen tool onto the inlet pipe and push until you hear a click. That click means the tool is securely on the vacuum.
Removing the tool is also straightforward. You can gently pull on the tool and remove it from the vacuum. This makes it super easy to switch between the different tools, which can come in handy if you have both hard floors and carpeting to clean.
Of course, you should keep them organized so that you can grab them and switch them out quickly and easily. You should also know what each tool looks like.
- The direct driver tool is a bit rounder. It features multiple “lines” of bristles rotating around the head.
- The soft roller cleaner head is also round, but it’s a bit smaller than the direct driver tool. This tool features lines that curve around, but the angle isn’t as sharp.
- The mini motorized tool works in handheld mode, and it looks like a much smaller vacuum head.
- The combination and crevice tools don’t look like vacuum heads. Instead, they’re skinnier and small enough to fit in crevices and corners.
While using the wrong tool may not cause significant problems, the right tool can ensure a better clean. The right tool will also typically be safer for your floor or surface.
How to Go Handheld
If you need to vacuum in a corner or on furniture, you probably don’t want to deal with the full vacuum. In that case, you can use the vacuum as a handheld vac. Switching from full stick to handheld isn’t too complicated.
The full and handheld modes both use battery power, so you don’t have to worry about different charges for each use. While you do have to keep battery life in mind, it doesn’t take any power to switch between the two modes.
- To switch to a handheld vacuum, you will need to detach the wand from the upper part of the vacuum.
- From there, you can start cleaning the couch or inside your car without any special tools.
- If that doesn’t do the trick, add the mini motorized tool to get a better clean.
If you need to go back to cleaning the floor, you can reattach the wand to the handheld version of the vacuum. Always assemble or disassemble the vacuum with dry hands and keep the parts away from water and wet surfaces.
When to Use the Combination or Crevice Tool
Many of us probably think a vacuum isn’t good for much other than cleaning the floor. However, vacuums can do much more than that. The Dyson V6 Absolute comes with a combination tool to help you clean in small areas.
The combination tool looks like a small brush, and it can help vacuum up dust and dirt. You can use it in corners and other areas where you may not be able to use a standard vacuum head.
With the Dyson V6 Absolute, you also get a crevice tool. While this tool also works in crevices and small areas, it has a different end than the combination tool. The crevice tool looks more like a tube, and it doesn’t have a brush head.
You can use either or both tools on furniture and other surfaces besides the floor. It may take a bit of experimenting to figure out which tool is best for each area you need to clean.
When to Use the Mini Motorized Tool
The Dyson V6 Absolute comes with tons of heads and tools, so it can be hard to find a use for each one. Luckily, the mini motorized tool is perfect for vacuuming up pet hair and other dirt from various surfaces.
If you’re a pet parent, you know that pet hair can get everywhere. It can get on the furniture, in corners, and all over the car.
- Use the mini motorized tool to clean pet hair and dirt off of the couch or other furniture.
- The tool also works well when cleaning your car seats.
- Overall, the tool has a bit more suction than just using the vacuum in handheld mode.
Even if you don’t have a problem with pet hair, the mini motorized tool’s stiff bristles can help remove dirt and other debris. This can be especially useful if the dirt is ground in. The mini motorized tool works well in handheld mode, though you may be able to use it in a full stick if you can’t quite reach where you need to clean.
How to Empty the Vacuum
When it comes to emptying traditional vacuums, it can be a huge pain. However, the Dyson V6 Absolute makes it easy to empty out dirt and debris. For one, you don’t need to worry about vacuum bags.
Vacuum bags can be expensive to replace, and they can be difficult to remove from a vacuum. The stick vacuum still works like a traditional vacuum, but it has a container that collects the dirt. When you’re ready to empty everything out, there are a few steps you can take.
- Make sure you’re done vacuuming for the day or that the container is full. Emptying the vacuum isn’t that hard, but you probably don’t want to do it more than you have to. If the container is full, you’ll have to empty it out before you vacuum anything else. You can tell if the container is full since it’s clear.
- Be sure the container isn’t too full. If you let it get too full, that can clog up the vacuum. Don’t be afraid to empty the vacuum each time you use it.
- If you’re in full stick mode, you can remove the full stick. While you don’t have to, the long stick can make things awkward.
- Next, head to your trash can, and open it up. Since the Dyson V6 Absolute doesn’t use bags, the dirt is sitting loose in the container, so it needs to fall directly into your trash can.
- Hold the container part of the vacuum over your trash can and hit the release button. This will open the bottom end of the container. Opening the box will let the dirt fall out of the container.
- Finally, let the container close, and make sure it latches so that dirt won’t escape.
Emptying the vacuum can be strange at first. However, being able to do it means you can use the vacuum again and again, and it won’t get clogged with dirt and hair.
The Dyson website has a great video on emptying the vacuum. There are also other videos that you can use to help maintain your vacuum.
How to Clean the Carpet Head
Aside from emptying the vacuum regularly, knowing how to clean the vacuum head can keep the vacuum working for much longer. If you know how to clean the carpet head, it will clean thoroughly, and it shouldn’t break down.
Cleaning the carpet head involves a few basic steps.
- First, remove the direct driver cleaner. This is the carpet head for the Dyson V6 Absolute, and you want to make sure to take it off before you attempt to clean it.
- Next, fill a sink or bucket with warm water and soap. This is what you’ll use to help clean the carpet head.
- After that, grab a brush with stiff bristles (not your vacuum head). The brush will be your cleaning tool.
- Now, dip the brush into the water and soap mixture. Then, scrub the vacuum head by hand. Since the carpet head can get deep into the carpet, you may need to clean deep into the head to get out all of the excess dirt and hair.
- Use rags to dry the inside of the vacuum head. Be sure to run the rags through the head multiple times to get all of the excess water out.
- Finally, take an old comb and use it to get any leftover hair that may not have come out before.
You can use these steps to clean out the carpet head on a regular basis. While you don’t need to do it often, it can help make sure the head is working well. If you notice the carpet head isn’t working great, that could mean it’s time for a deep clean.
How to Clean the Hardwood Head
Just as you will probably have to clean the carpet head on your vacuum, you may need to clean the hardwood head. You can follow the same steps for both vacuum heads. However, you should be a bit gentler with the soft roller cleaner.
After all, the hardwood head is gentle itself, so you don’t want to ruin it with a rough clean. If you decide to clean both heads at the same time, consider giving each a fresh bucket of water. You can take this time to switch to a gentler detergent so that you aren’t too harsh on the soft roller cleaner.
While you could use the same water and soap for both, you don’t want the hair and dirt from one head getting into the other one. That would just defeat the purpose of cleaning the head in the first place.
Like the carpet head, you should clean the hardwood head as needed. If you sense that the head isn’t cleaning as well as it used to, it may be time to deep clean the hardwood head.
How to Clean the Mini Motorized Tool
If you use the mini motorized tool often, you may need to clean it, too. One way you can do that is to follow the same steps as for the different vacuum heads. However, the mini motorized tool may require a different approach.
After you try the other cleaning method, consider the following steps specifically for the smaller tool. Since its heads are a bit harsher than those for the other accessories, you may have to work a little harder to clean it.
Consider cutting out threads and hairs that are stuck in the tool. If you do that, be as careful as possible so that you don’t damage it.
When it comes to the combination and crevice tools, you can follow both methods. You can use a brush to clean both. If one or both of those extra tools have a lot of dirt stuck in them, you can cut out some hairs or threads.
Life of the Battery
Maintaining your vacuum can be crucial to keeping the battery in working condition. The better the vacuum cleans, the less the battery has to work to produce the same results. If you keep your vacuum empty and the heads clean, the battery should last as long as the vacuum itself.
However, misusing the vacuum, like filling the container too much, can cause it not to work as efficiently. Letting the vacuum heads and tools clog with dirt can also lead to issues over time.
You should also make sure you always use the correct charging cord to charge the vacuum. Sure, you may be able to use a similar cord, and it may be okay. But the one that comes with your vacuum is the best option.
Using the right cord and keeping your vacuum in the best shape possible will lead to longer battery life. That also means you won’t have to stress about replacing the battery.
Why Replace the Battery
While most vacuum batteries should last as long as their vacuum, issues can happen. If you or someone else misuses the vacuum, that can lead to problems for the battery. That could include the battery not holding a charge or not offering as much power.
However, a bad battery isn’t the only reason why you might want to replace the vacuum battery. If you have a larger home, the 20 minutes of battery may not be enough for a full run of the vacuum. In that case, you can buy a second battery.
Switching between two batteries can be a hassle, but it can give you longer battery life. You can operate the vacuum for longer than 20 minutes without having to wait for it to charge. Using two batteries can also make each individual battery last longer.
While a single battery should last as long as the vacuum, you never know what could happen. Having a backup battery can save you from having to borrow a vacuum or rushing to buy another one when the battery stops working.
How to Replace the Battery
Replacing the battery on the Dyson V6 Absolute is relatively straightforward. You don’t need a ton of special tools, and the battery is pretty easy to get to. Just be sure you follow the right steps to get the first battery out and put the second battery in.
- Unplug the vacuum and take off the wand so that it looks like a handheld vacuum. That way, you won’t have extra weight to deal with when changing the battery.
- Push down on the red lever on the outside of the container. It should be right next to the device handle.
- However, avoid pushing the red trigger on the opposite side. The trigger is what powers the vacuum, and you don’t want the vacuum on when you replace the battery.
- Push the red lever a second time, still avoiding the red trigger. This should open up the container.
- Next, pull the container away from the red cyclone inside of it. Now, you should be able to access the battery pack near the cyclone.
- Now, find the screw on the battery pack and use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove it. This is also the time to find and remove the screw on the vacuum handle.
- Pull the battery pack down and away from the vacuum. Now, you can replace the old battery with the new one.
- To replace the battery, follow the previous steps. This time, reverse the steps so that you can put the battery on correctly.
Following these steps will help you replace the Dyson V6 Absolute battery in the best way you can. Hopefully, you won’t have to do this process all of the time. Still, knowing the basics can come in handy in case you ever have to replace the battery.
What Is HEPA?
Many vacuums today have what’s called a HEPA filter. HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air, and it denotes filters that can trap 99.97 percent of certain particles. It specifically refers to particles that are 0.3 microns, so the standards don’t deal with smaller particles.
A micron is a way of measuring size. One inch is equal to 25,400 microns, and in general, we can’t see anything smaller than 10 microns. While many HEPA filters can trap smaller particles, but the HEPA standard sits at 0.3 microns, which is about as tiny as the smallest bacteria.
These filters trap particles in a web of fibers. Larger particles collide with the fibers and get trapped as they try to get through. HEPA filters trap medium particles by intercepting them, and small particles eventually collide as they try to pass through the filter.
This website explains more about HEPA and how it works.
When it comes to vacuums, the filter can help keep your vacuum from clogging up. Just like other types of filters, it’s essential to keep your vacuum filter clean.
How to Clean the Filter
Knowing how to clean the filter on your Dyson V6 Absolute is another excellent way to keep it in the best shape possible. A dirty filter can cause the vacuum to not work as well, even if the battery is new.
The filter is easy to clean, so you don’t have an excuse for letting it fill up with dirt and dust.
- Unplug the vacuum and avoid turning it on. You can also set the vacuum somewhere so that you can quickly get the filter out.
- Next, find the purple circle on the top and unscrew it. This is where you’ll find the filter, so you can now pull it out.
- You can clean the filter by running it under tap water. Make sure you use your hands to maneuver the filter so that you can clean it from different angles.
- Shake it out a couple of times during the cleaning process. That way, you can get rid of gunk as it comes out.
- When you’re done, wring out the filter like you would a towel. Leave it out to dry for 24 hours. Finally, you can put it back in and use the vacuum as usual.
Since the drying time is so long, make sure you don’t need to use the vacuum for the day after you clean the filter. You can always sweep or use a duster if you need to clean something.
Like the other parts of the vacuum, cleaning the filter can extend the machine’s lifespan. However, you have to find a balance. You don’t want to clean the filter too often, because it might not work as well.
The Dyson V6 Absolute is an excellent vacuum, and it can fit right in at your home. It has tons of great features, and it’s easy to use and maintain. Just don’t forget to clean it out so that you can keep using it for years to come.